Papered Ceilings

We have papered our ceiling for the second time now and we still hav

the problem with the joins opening. We tried by filling the gap wit filler, rubbing down and then painting but 24 hours after the join start opening again. Can someone please tell me what we are doin wrong?.

Thanks in advanced

Yani

-- Yanie

Reply to
Yanie

Firstly putting filler along the seams will not help. Secondly are you applying enough paste to the edges? Thirdly have you tried papering the oposite way to what you normally do? i.e across rather than lenghtways. If this don't work use diluted PVA to bond the edges.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Are you using the right amount of paste, evenly spread, and letting it soak before hanging the paper? If the edges aren't properly soaked they might not adhere properly and could move as the paper dries.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thanks Sir Benjamin I'll give a try.Finger's crosse

-- Yanie

Reply to
Yanie

Paste the ceiling first. Let it dry. Paste the paper as above.

Reply to
John Cartmell

..and roller the edges/joins well. You probably are but in the absence of any mention I thought I would ...err... mention.

Mathew (better at wallpapering than grammar, honest)

Reply to
Mathew Newton

You swine! What about the next person who needs to strip the paper! Grrr... ;)

Reply to
Chris Bacon

In article , Yanie writes

We have papered our ceiling for the second time now and we still have the

filler, rubbing down

start opening again. Can someone

wrong?.

Nobody's mentioned this one so here goes:

You can have this problem if you _over_ soak the paper, ie leave the paste on it too long before applying the paper to wall/ceiling. The moisture from the paste soaks into the paper and causes it to expand, this is normal and the reverse of this is what causes the paper to go tight when it dries out, but leaving it on too long gives over expansion and over contraction when drying out, leaving gaps.

I use only top quality paper and paste only one sheet at a time, leaving it 2 or 3 mins before applying.

HTH

Reply to
fred

I've never found it necessary to use a seam roller, or to pre-treat a painted surface. Fresh plaster should always get a coat of dilute paste or size before papering.

Reply to
Rob Morley