Simple problem with basin waste (I hope)

We fitted a new waste to the bathroom basin. It is a waste with a slotted overflow (http://www.diy.com/bq/product/product.jhtml?PRODID 6871&paintCatId=&CATID6738) just below the plug hole. When water is run down the plug hole, some passes through the slot and then seeps between the hole in the basin and the outside of the waste pipe....wet floor. There is a seal at the bottom of the basin but it does not seem that good a seal and anyway it seems a bad plan to have the water seeping down there inthe first place. There is a little bit of play between pipe and basin and so I assume there is some (common) method sealing it.
Anyone?
Robert Chafer

(http://www.diy.com/bq/product/product.jhtml?PRODID 6871&paintCatId=&CATID 6738)
There should be a large rubber or nylon washer between the bottom of the basin and the large nut which clamps the waste in place. If this washer doesn't provide an adequate seal, you'll have to assist it by applying some Plumbers Mait. [You'll need to undo the nut, spread the PM on the mating surfaces, and then do the nut up again. All should then be well].
It's also necessary to ensure that you've got a good seal between the top of the waste and the upper surface of the basin. Otherwise, when you're washing, with the plug in place, water will leak under the rim of the waste into the overflow chamber.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Check. Plumbers mait is my friend on sinks

Hm, I thought the plug seal was dodgy on mine, as I have a bit of seepage down the drain (as opposed to onto the floor). I'll have another shufty at the waste rim.....
Cheers,
Paul.