Silicon bead tools

Those little plastic silicon bead finishing tools seem to be pricey for what they are. Are they worth it?

mark

Reply to
mark

Certainly. I did a bath before Christmas, I was going to fit some sealing strips, but thought I'd tried a silicone bead first, used the Fugenboy, and it came out excellent, so saved myself £20 on bath strips. They are now £8 at Screwfix reduced from £10. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Fugenboys? Oh yes!

Google the archives for more.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Fugenboy or similar? Without any doubt. Worth several times the asking price.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just out of interest - what happens to the excess silicon with these tools? Does it go all over the place as you run the tool along, or is it collected nicely to be wiped off the tool?

I am pretty good with almost everything DIY, but applying silicon is something that is simply beyond me (lack of practice I suppose).

Reply to
JoeJoe

Collects on the face of the tool, to be wiped off on kitchen roll or similar.

10 mins with a Fugenboy, you will be a master. You simply wouldn't believe how well they work.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Crikey - I paid about 15 quid less than a year ago. And thought them worth every penny.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But oh so much easier than putty: dreadful stuff which I simply cannot do!

Spamlet

Scuse my ignorance, aren't these simply bits of shaped plastic?

Reply to
Brass Monkey

Yep.

My question is what happens if the 2 sides being "shaped" with the device are not at 90 deg? Does the mastic slide past the edge of the tool ?

Reply to
RW

Until now I've always used the end of various kitchen wooden spoons etc, or more recently, pieces of plastic ch pipe (which if, off a roll, have a handy curve). Looking at the pictures of the Fugenboy, I can see there might be advantages of using the flat bits of plastic as this ought to help scrape the excess off the walls etc. Might not glide as easily as my spoons though...

Incidentally, has anyone worked out how to get sealer down the inside of a roughened window pane (our bathroom windows have a sort of granular faceted surface which picks up all the dirt) to reduce condensation penetration? Making the seal is one thing: cleaning the excess off the glass afterwards, quite another! Luckily I chose to use transparent sealer this time!

Spamlet

Yes. Absolutely, don't even think of not buying one, you will never look back.

The Fugi ones are my preferred set:

John Rumm

Of sorts, yes. They are made from a slightly elastic material that wipes clean of most sealants, and they have a nicely shaped and feathered edge. They work so well because they wipe the adjacent surfaces so cleanly that you don't get thin wisps of sealant left all over the place. The material is hard enough to wear well, but flexible to act a little like a squeegy.

Reply to
John Rumm

What about behind taps and other 'obstructions'? Are these areas 'blended in' with a wet finger?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

If the corner is < 90 then you can you tip the tool so that it presents the required angle. Obviously greater than 90 would require two passes - the first using slightly larger bead size than the second.

Reply to
John Rumm

Its worth buying the set of tools with a narrow version included for this purpose. In extreme cases you may have to manufacture a tool from a bit of ice cream tub.

Reply to
John Rumm

Place masking tape down the glass first. If you need to clean wet silicone off a surface then use a can of IPA (available from CPC in aerosol form).

Reply to
John Rumm

£7.82 at Screwfix this afternoon.
Reply to
Bruce

Fugenboy is, even for a tenner. Don't know what it's made of, but it does just work better,

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not really - they're a strange soft plastic almost like hard rubber and much thicker than a filling knife or whatever - and have a chamfer to one side.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)