Shredders?

I'm on my second electric shredder and I'm getting really fed up with it. It can handle branches up to about 1" diameter if I take my time with it, but anything fibrous chokes it up instantly. It also takes an eternity to feed through the vast quantities of hedge/tree clippings my garden generates. I am seriously thinking thinking of buying a 6.5hp petrol chipper/shredder. Will this be any better or will I be just as disappointed? I suppose I could hire one for the weekend to try one out but I'd sooner listen to real experience. Anyone use one??

Reply to
Lawrence Milbourn

I've been using an Allen 5hp petrol shredder for over 12 years and would be lost without it. We have a couple of hundred yards of hedge - hawthorn/privet. My neighbour has an electric shredder and seems to take all afternoon shredding stuff that would take me half an hour max.

Go for it !

Reply to
Troy

Oh I think that's a bit of an exaggeration!

We use an electric one which does clog up from time to time but wottheheck!

While it works we keep it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

wottheheck!

I'm with Mary on this one, we bought a cheapo electric one. It works a treat up to about an inch and only clogs up if I go really ape-shit with it. It takes about 30/40seconds to unclog it. I'd need a lot more than our 1/3 acre, long hedge, 4 tree plot to justify a petrol one.

jim

Reply to
jim.

We use a Bearcat with a Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke engine. Its a bugger to start but will take very hefty branches. Unfortunately too much green stuff clogs it very quickly, especially Leylandii.

I think they are all prone to choking on soft fresh material.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Lawrence Milbourn