Shed Base

Thinking of getting a shed for putting kids outdoor toys in and possibly a mower. If a 6 x 4 shed - to be lightly loaded what is the minimum type of base I can get away with. (I have some spare 2 x3 paving slabs I would like to use). The area is flat.

Reply to
John

The main reasons for a base are to give a mud-free interior and to have something heavy to attach the shed to. (The Great Storm moved an unfixed wooden chalet, of about the size of your shed, in my parent's garden by several feet, until it fetched up against a wall.) If the slabs are ex-Council street paving slabs, I would say they were ideal, with a few screws to hold the shed to them. If they are the lighter domestic sort, I would probably look at driving a fencing post spike or two into the ground, to give something to anchor the shed to.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

In article , John writes

I've never liked the idea of putting wooden runners down on solid materials that then trap water under the timber, I put my sheds down on loose levelled aggregate

Reply to
David

Thinking of getting a shed for putting kids outdoor toys in and possibly a mower. If a 6 x 4 shed - to be lightly loaded what is the minimum type of base I can get away with. (I have some spare 2 x3 paving slabs I would like to use). The area is flat.

Reply to
John

As long as the ground is firm, paving slabs are fine. It's worth taking a bit of trouble to get them really level. Lay them on a thin bed of sand.

Reply to
Set Square

i would lay them on dabs of sand cement mortar

Reply to
CDOYLE0361