Shed Base

I need to put a base down for the shed, what is the bare minimum specs I need to build it to. Ground is pretty stable, AFAIK Shed is 6x4, nothing too heavy in it (apart from wife when she goes in).

Do I just remove turf, lay lots of sand then lay slabs. OR Do I have to put some sort of hard core down 1st.

Im on a budget, so need to do this with as little hassle and cost as I can.

TIA

Reply to
Volund

You need to lift the shed of the soil and allow air to circulate underneath. This could be done in lots of different ways including just putting some concrete blocks on the ground and ensure they are level. You wont need any hardcore under the slabs unless you are making up the ground.

Reply to
Space_Cowby

Cheers, The underside of the shed floor has some 3x2 batons attached, thus keeping it off the ground. So I'll just get some sand then.....

Reply to
Volund

Ventilation is certainly important. Three additional suggestions.

1) Give the underside and especially the battens a couple of thorough coats of a good solvent based wood preservative like Cuprinol (not a water based one). THe shed manufacturers typically don't do much more than a dip of the components. After the shed is erected, the underside is likely to be the one part that can never be reached again for maintenance.

2) Get some pieces of damp proof course material - it's a stout plastic and comes cheaply in rolls - and put strips of it between the battens and the concrete. THis prevents any soaking of water into the battens from underneath

3) The quality of roofing felt supplied with the typical shed is often quite poor. It is worth getting a roll of higher grade material since it will last a lot longer.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , Volund writes

Why put slabs down? they only trap water under the shed bearers, most of the slab doesn't do anything. I would (and have) dig out the turf, contain the area with a timber surround and fill with gravel and stick the shed on that, its stable and drains the water perfectly

Reply to
David

No cus then the baton of the shed will be resting on the damp sand. These need to be lifted clear of the ground on bricks, slabs, blocks etc ie something that will not rot.

Reply to
Space_Cowby

I'd also suggest:

4) use decent timber bearers between the shed floor and the blocks. The battens that are nailed to the underside of sheds are generally insufficient.
Reply to
sPoNiX

I certainly agree with point (2). I cut strips of damp proof cousre and laid them between the bearers (soaked in Cuprinol) and a thin concrete base. 10 years on and still looking good :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jeremy Goff

Good idea. I did this on one project using 100mm x 100mm tanalised posts which were also dipped in preservative at each end.

It will also make for a much more stable shed floor as you say.