Sharing a door bell moan.

Dear Byron,

Today I have installed a "720k" wired door chime that I purchased from my local Screwfix a couple of weeks ago.

I am writing to let you know that I have completely discarded the useless so-called bell wire you provided, which has a single strand no thicker than a human hair...in favour of "proper" bell wire which I must have purchased in the 1970's.

Can I suggest you have made a cost-saving too far!

David

Reply to
Vortex12

Shuddagottafriedland.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Remember those smart arrays of black & white bellpushes outside blocks of flats, each with a festoon bulb illuminating the name Friedland?

I suppost that was to confuse the cold callers.

Crikey, they still make 'em.

I wonder if the festoon lamp that often drew too mutch current and made the bell buzz is now an LED, or is that too sensable?

Reply to
Graham.

ah yes I have a door intercom like this. I'm told this wire is easier to hide. However making it grey would seem to not be a good idea if this was the reason.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It says it costs ?9. Bit steep for what it is.

Reply to
pamela

According to 192.com there are 81 people in the UK with that surname.

The old lamps are still available

I don't see any mention of new pushes being LED.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

LED would need zeners to avoid being fried by mechanical bells

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not in practice. I've been using a LED for years. Two basic bells wired in parallel so quite a bit of spiking. Remember the LED is shorted out when the bell is ringing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Won't the big spike often be when the push is released?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yup. I'm not sure how Dave's have survived.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Depends on the design of the bell. Universal types, which can run off AC or DC, had a switching circuit. I have one of each. ;-)

The LED in question is very much under-run. Less than 10 mA.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's the spikes that I wonder how it's survived. Mechanical bells are inductive, open the switch and the bell gets electrically aggressive. Perhaps one has a big cap across it or something.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes - but it's excess current which kills an LED, and they can take a short pulse which would kill them long term.

Doing a quick calc, you'd need about 60v to give double the continuous rating of this LED and resistor combination. Which isn't far away from what I'd expect to see. ;-) But anyway, it's worked just fine for many years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)