Security Screws

Are any of the screws sold as security screws, such as clutch headed screws, reasonably secure in practice?

Reply to
chade

FSVO reasonable...

depends on if you have a security screw bit set ;-)

(unless you mean the "non removable" ones where they are never designed to come out)

Reply to
John Rumm

I remember seeing clutch headed woodscrews shown on Tomorrows World. (Cant remember if they were called that then) It was at least 10 years later when I saw one in the real world (lavatory cubicle).

Reply to
Graham.

A quick Google reveals quite a few "clutch-headed screw removal tools". I would have thought they're as secure as a normal screw that has a rounded-off head, so it depends what you're trying to protect with them and whether the thief has the tools or the determination to unscrew them/crowbar whatever it is they're securing. Nothing in this world is 100% thief-proof, but making it a right pain in the arse for the thief helps considerably.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Fit a microswitch under the outlet in question, to set off an alarm if the cover plate is removed.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

When clutch-headed screws first appeared on the market, how long did it take before someone had a *legitimate* need (my "friend" put something up in the wrong place) to remove them? A day? Two?

Reply to
Adam Funk

Or two security screw sets.

The cells in Barnsley police station use a different type of security screw on the left and right screws for the switches in the cells.

Reply to
ARW

I'm going to assume you know that purely in a professional capacity. ;-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

As I recall from previous posts, you assume wrong!

Reply to
Bob Eager

made me smile on my way to work today. I nearly called in to see Paul my last next door neighbour.

Adam

Reply to
ARW

Hey, that's a good nick! Very nice people...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Jeezz!, he's not doing time is he;?..

Just imagine .. what if poor old Java Jive was incarcerated there.

Would this be a "cruel and unusual punishment" inflicting this on him;?...

tony sayer

Paul is doing 17 months.

Reply to
ARW

66kV on the UK's version of Alcatraz
Reply to
The Other Mike

There are as many variants of security screw as there are applicaions!

Obviously, the more common pin hex, snake eye and so on do have readily available tools, however there are other options.

See this link -

This shows a range of more securely controlled screws, even to a completely bespoke option!

(Quick word of advice, the clutch head removal tools do only work on Stainless Steel screws!)

Hope this is of some help to you!

Danny McMahon

dannygmcmahon