Security advice - pet immune PIRs?

After getting burglars this morning I think it is time to review our security system. Fortunately, they didnt get away with anything as the alarm went off after they opened the front door (presumably they were getting an escape route as they entered through a kitchen window). Now because we have a cat, we tend to leave off the zone that was the entry point - there is a PIR in this zone which the cat has set off before. Also in this zone is a door contact on the back door and a vibration sensor on the window they entered through - I expect they wouldnt have got in had this zone been enabled!
You tend to get complacent about security when nothing has heppened for a long time but this has made us take a bit of notice. So I was thinking about rewiring to put the pir on its own zone (we only have 4 zones so a bit of juggling would be needed) which we can leave off if necessary while still protecting the doors & windows. However, I was just looking at cpc and they have some 'animal resistant' PIRs which wont be triggered by an animal up to 35kg in weight. Has anyone used these devices before and are they really resistant to my cat wandering round (while still picking up a person!)? Here is a link to them...
http://tinyurl.com/g0fw
cheers
dave.

Do you know the make, model or supplier please?
Jc.

Some give you a choice of lenses - the idea being to avoid ground level and therefore pets. Of course, cats can jump up on things. But if yours are this type you might be able to buy the lenses only and experiment. A pal who had several cats avoided PIRs altogether and relied on shock sensors. But had loads of false alarms.
IMHO, if you can be bothered with the work, sensors on all the external doors and windows are pretty reliable, unless you are 'attacked' by a pro burglar.
--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman wrote:

The ones we have fitted apear to work on the infra red 'mass' rather than poisition. I've lost the leaflet that came with them (naturally) but they have an upper weight limit of something like 30kg and anything above this will trigger the alarm. They appear to be fairly reliable so far as we haven't had any false alarms from the cats jumping onto window sills or worktops so they don't appear to be overly sensitive to position.
--
Regards

Tony Hogarty
London SW 12

--
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com
Josey wrote:

Difficult to read as it is in tiny writing moulded into the plastic but it looks like it says 'Rockonet'? No idea of supplier or model as they were installed by my electrician.
--
Regards

Tony Hogarty

Contact your nearest Gardiner Security, and ask them for their range of pet immune detectors. There are so many to choose from now, that each job is becoming more difficult to spec' for. They've been in use for a good many years now, and they have got better and better as time has gone on, so each maker has their own style, shape and size to suit any decoration.
Yes ! They do work.
spamguard@_spam_guard_.com says...

up the loft ladder (down temporarily) and I think must have got too close to the sensor mounted on the ceiling.
--
Jonathan Ward
Remove the 'X' when replying

A recommeded make and model would be nice if you know it.
Jc

http://www.texe.com/index2.asp?pagename=english/technical/tech_3dseries.html
they do work - but not suitable for every location less sensitive than normal pirs and need careful siting they normaly require the animal not to be able to get within 2 metres of the sensor dont get confused with pirs with pet lens - these are not suitable for cats you need animal resistant pirs. Note they dont call them animal proof sensors! but they do work much better to have its own zone as well
. However, I was just looking at cpc and they