Security advice on buying euro cylinder door locks (online or not)

Good day, I want to upgrade my Euro cylinder door locks to higher-security ones. Unsu rprisingly, these locks are cheaper on eBay than at my local lock shop. But I wondered about the safety considerations of buying from an online dealer . I'm concerned that if I buy online, the dealer will know exactly what key I'll be using and also my home address. Do you agree that this could compr omise one's security? Any tips on buying these locks in a safe way at a fav ourable price would be appreciated. TIA PW

Reply to
PW

PW wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I am impressed with my Ultilion Locks

DerbyBorn

Have them delivered to a work address?

Reply to
Andy Burns

We had new windows and external doors fitted eight years ago. The fitters will know what sort of key and our address. Food for thought?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Ask a friend to order it for you.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

....."I want to upgrade my Euro cylinder door locks to higher-security ones.".......

Just be a little careful as to what ebayers (or retailers) consider high security. In some instances it will just be spool pins which make it more difficult to pick or rake but can still be drilled or snapped. You probably want anti-drill and anti-snap. Once you have them installed how easy would it be to kick the door in. It is worth reviewing the bigger picture not just the locks if you have not already done so.

Reply to
ss

After we had the front door changed to a upvc one a couple of years ago I upgraded the lock to a kitemarked anti snap/bump/drill. I bought it from a proper locksmith shop who asked the same question. Reckoned he'd not heard of a single case locally where entry had been gained through snapping the lock, but more a couple where the door panel had simply just been kicked in...

Reply to
Lee

A few years ago we had Mr Plod around to advise on home security. He told us of a jeweller, who had a steel plate in his front door and really good locks.

The scrotes went through the wall.

All you need to do is make sure someone else is an easier/better target.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Advice that sounds remarkably not unlike that given to those hiking through bear country in regard of choosing a walking partner carefully, i.e. make sure he can't run as fast as you! :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good