Screws

I've drawn a blank in getting some short, fat, round/cross-head screws to replace some corroded ones from some church doors. The originals make a difference to the appearance, so I'd like to get something very similar.

They look like this:

and the screws are around 35x9mm or, more likely, 1 1/2" x 20ga given the age of the doors.

Am I likely to find something like this or is this something that can be made by a blacksmith or anyone with a lathe? I only need 4.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Connell

If it's going in an existing hole, get a longer screw and cut it off. Even if not, you can cut an existing screw off and file/grind the thread to form a new point and "deepen" the thread. Simple job if laborious.

Or let a longer screw go right through the job and cut the projecting point off with an angle grinder.

Reply to
harryagain

Jon Connell wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

"Slot Head"

Reply to
DerbyBorn

These any good?

They all come in packs of 10

Reply to
stuart noble

'Mushroom head wood screw'

This looks close..

If not, I imagine a hex headed coach screw could easily be turned and slotted to be a fairly good match.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

or this, too short maybe...

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

inc-plated-1884-p.asp

That looks pretty decent. The brackets on the doors are secured firmly enou gh with 1 1/2" x 8 screws and this final screw is mostly cosmetic so I don' t think the difference between 16 and 20 gauge will make that much differen ce. And I can always pad the existing hole anyway.

And they're not in boxes of 200, which is great.

Many thanks and a happy New Year.

Reply to
Jon Connell

I think the gutter screws will look better, but I will need some largish ro undhead screws as the countersunk ones I've used for the smaller holes on t he bracket look a bit pants. I suppose I could fill the slots to obscure th em, but I'll only hate myself in the future.

Reply to
Jon Connell

Aye.

Reply to
Jon Connell

is that the gender opposite of 'd*****ad'?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:m80oh0$n8l$1 @news.albasani.net:

Maybe - and what is the (attractive only) female equivilant of a Builders Bum?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Cleavage??

Reply to