screwfix titan pillar drill

Why don't you make one? There are plenty of simple designs on youtube

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

They are generally induction motors on pillar drills. And single phase induction motors need to have a sensible rating for the work required as they only really work properly at their designed speed. Unlike a brush motor which will generally produce at least as much torque if slowed down due to load.

Snag with a brush motor is the much higher speed. Which would require a gearbox for pillar drill speeds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No point with a pillar drill really - there is no cost saving by the time you have bought the key components...

Reply to
John Rumm

They key bits are just scrap wood and a jubilee clip or 2

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

and a motor and a chuck, and some form for rack and pinion mechanism...

like I said, not worth it - you can buy a crap one for 60 quid.

Reply to
John Rumm

that's already in your old handheld drill, which is secured in place

they mostly use different mechanics made of wood

You can. Some of us want specific attributes you're unlikely to get with an off the shelf drill. And some people of course don't want to spend.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You can buy stands to convert a normal drill into a sort of pillar one. But they suffer even more from sideways slop than even the cheapest ready made pillar drill. They do generally have a longer travel, though.

My cheap pillar drill came from Lidl. Replaced the older B&Q one and cost about the same - about 50 quid or less. It has a higher maximum distance between chuck and table and an adequately powerful 500 watt motor. The two things that made me change from the B&Q one.

It is adequate for my needs. Otherwise I'd not have bought it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A black & decker in a drill stand is not much of a substitute for a drill press IME, but you please yourself.

Reply to
John Rumm

It's not. Still have one here. You can move the chuck about 5mm side to side. Only real benefit - why I've kept it - is the much larger chuck travel. Handy for drilling lots of holes in thick wood, etc. On the very rare occasion you'd need to.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

replying to Bob Minchin, FinnegaNn22 wrote: Where do you get the 'Toy Drill' business from? This is a 3/4 horse power motor, although the particular drill in question is

700 watt motor - almost one horse power, so not sure what you reckon on drilling. Three in holes in steel maybe!!! These machines are perfectly suitable and powerful enough for any prolonged D.I.Y use and at this time, I have one of these in my motor car repair shop and have had no problems whatsoever, working on and off all day long,so please don't degrade these bench drills as they are perfectly adequate for virtually all types of drilling work.
Reply to
FinnegaNn22

Clearly reading is not a strength of yours. The OP was asking for opinions on a 500w 50mm travel drill not the one to which you refer.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Typically with this class of drill, its an indication that there is limited travel in the quill, and there will be lots of slop in the bearings on the quill - especially at full extension - so accuracy and drilling capacity may be poor.

The table may also have more flex that you would like, and it may lack nice features like rack an pinion height adjustment.

The throat depth may also be quite limited.

Many of the budget drills don't allow the head to be rotated easily so that you can clear the base of the stand and hence drill stuff longer than the pillar.

Also on many of the budget drills, the chuck has the female morse taper socket rather than the quill, so you are prevented from using larger MT drills direct in the quill without the chuck.

Power is usually less of an issue,

It probably has an induction motor, and so will support a decent duty cycle.

Sure, adequate is the word, so long as you can cope with the limitations mentioned above.

Reply to
John Rumm

replying to Bob Minchin, FinnegaN22 wrote: My reading prowess is just fine baby. The drill in question is NOT a toy as was somewhat unknowingly described. Maybe was thinking of the ones listed as 370 watt half horse power. I expect you know the ones I refer to. Those which you can grab the chuck when it's running and easily stop it!! Not for the faint hearted but proves a point.

Reply to
FinnegaN22

In message , FinnegaN22 writes

The problem, baby, is that you are posting into a well established newsgroup via a parasitic and badly organised web site that is just using you and us to make money from advertising.

The original posting was about the lower powered drill.

It is no longer available.

Reply to
Bill