Screwfix "FERM 24V Combi Drill & 2 Batteries" Any Good?

I'm looking for new drill/driver (xmas prezzie!), does anyone have any information/recommendations on this one from Screwfix?
Check out:- http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts 708&id323
Spec is:-
"One of the most powerful cordless combi drills on the market. Coupled with a 3 year warranty it provides the quality and flexiblility to complete any task.
- Two 24v Ni-Cad batteries. - 13mm keyless chuck. - Hammers, drills and drives. - Carrying case. - Forward and reverse control. - 1 hr charger. -Variable speed. - 16 torque settings. - 3 year warranty. - Electric brake.
Specification: Electronic variable no load speed 0-900 rpm, blows per minute 0-16,200, 13mm keyless chuck. Weight 2.47kg."
TIA,
Kev
On 16 Dec 2003 16:34:15 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@awt-ltd.co.uk (Kev Parkin) wrote:

I got one for 25 at a boat jumble; it works OK but I've not used it enough to get an idea of how good it is.
--
Niall

you'll need arms like Arnie to use it for any length of time... after a day of drylining my arms were ready to fall off (c;
hammer action is crap, won't go through brick or concrete
don't try to wiggle a drill around a hole to make it bigger either, my first one broke doing that without much effort.
I've still got and use mine, forearms are bigger now too (c;
Les

Looks identical to mines 3 (4?) years old now...
Chuck went within a few weeks, didn't bother getting another of the same under warranty just bought a decent steel one (costs almost as much as the drill!!)
Hammer action failed, took appart, lots of broken bits of plastic inside. Threw them away as I hammer action was crap anyway.
Lately one of the batteries is playing up and not holding its charge properly.
However it still works after a serious 3 year house renovation, a loft conversion and lots of incidentals in between. Not bad for 50 (which is what I paid).
I'm half tempted to buy another just to get some new batteries.
Tony
Had mine for about 3 years and still going. I got it mainly for the hammer work as I have a good (ish) screwdriver and it is still going. I mainly use for putting in wall plugs when doing odd jobs although I have put holes through cavity walls.
For the price not bad but if I was going to use it every day then I would look for something better.

Lawrence
usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

Thanks for the info, looks like it is reasonable for the money - does anyone know of any alternatives for a similar price?
Kev
Had mine for a year, and it still has more oopmh than I have in my arms. It is heavy, but has some very good torque.
I'm well pleased, I used it to build a (wooden) workshop recently, and it coped admirally even with 100mm screws.
A good investment for me.

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:26:48 -0000, "John Stumbles"

I wholeheartedly agree with this. The auger bits have a screw at the front end which pulls the bit into the work at a rate of knots (hmm, there's a pun in there somewhere ;)).
You find this out the hard way by using the auger in a mains drill and squeeze the trigger - if the revs per minute is more than about 60 then you find you are 3 inches into the woodwork within a second or two - and unlike regular drill (and spade) bits you can't just pull the drill out with the chuck still turning!
PoP

Well I bit the bullit, ordered drill yesterday, arrived today .... looks OK, can't have it till Xmas day grrr ...... not planning to use it till next year though! Power tools and Xmas spirit don't mix
Anyway thanks for the feedback merry Xmas y'all
KEV