Screwfix Dimmerswitch

Anybody else had experience of screwfix two gang dimmer blowing. I replaced a normal switch with a dimmer which worked fine for a about a month, then blew on one gang. Replaced with another a few weeks ago and blow me that's gone too. it's the same side both times. Normal wall light fitting with ordinary 40w bulb that hasn't blown

any ideas appreciated.

Reply to
Will Chambers TalkTalk Audio P

Maybe related. I replaced a standard switch with a dimmer - a Screwfix one, but actually I don't think that is the issue.

The wall box had 4 tapped flanges for the screws that hold the plastic plate - 2 at the top, 2 each side.

The (unused) flange at the bottom, I discovered, was very close to the screws that retain the wires in the dimmer switch - fine when I installed it, but a little bit of movement over a few weeks and it then shorted out.

It was only after the FOC replacement from Screwfix blew that I got suspicious and turned my brain on ;-)

So, does your wallbox, by any chance, have 4 flanges?

Tim Hardisty. Remove HAT before replying

Reply to
Tim Hardisty

I'm sure you now what I meant - "1 at the top, 1 at the bottom, 1 each side". Doh! Tim Hardisty. Remove HAT before replying

Reply to
Tim Hardisty

Had a Wilkinson bought, 2 gang dimmer, blow up last week when the GU11 bulb went in the light fixture.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

In the QVS catalogue, there is a dimmer that it rated to 700W, but states it's only rated to 350w with the GU10's - is that because they are halogen?

On another note, I have a 300w PAR56 halogen lamp in a CCTV IR fixture It is a little on the bright side, can I just use a dimmer on this, or do I need a special one?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Yes, the Wilco ones now come with a warning about GU10's, they did'nt before !!.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Try replacing with a lower wattage bulb. Someone else might know if a 150W bulb will fit a 300W fitting.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle