Scrap

Does the photo ID have to link directly to an address like the Photo Driving Licence does? Or Could you have a photo works ID with picture and name then say a recent utilty bill with name and address?

Like the scrappy credits the money to his or one of a selection of trusted friends account(s) and pays cash to the customer. Or simply doesn't record the transaction at all. Who is going to notice a few extra kg of copper pipe in a pile of a tonne to ten?

One assumes that all the scrappies now paying for scrap have debit card machines and thus also a connection to the clearing house/banks.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I assumed that he does do it as a business but that he's transferring his washer to that business at cost in order to create a loss that his company can use to offset future scrap transactions.

would this work :-(

tim

Reply to
tim.....

As that's not the reason you don't have to believe any conspiracy.

The new law is to stop people stealing scrap (or rather to stop them stealing things that aren't actually scrap) by denying then an opportunity to turn their ill-gotten gain into cash.

Whilst we can argue about the effectiveness of the move I can't believe that anyone would suggest that the motive is wrong.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

No you should pay tax on any profit. In the case of the getting =A35 for= the =A3200 washing machine you have made a =A3195 loss, no tax to pay. W= ether you can offset the =A3195 loss against the copper pipe is debateable. Bu= t even if you account for the pipe seperately you are unlikely to get more= from the scrappy per kg than you paid for the pipe (per kg) from a plumbers merchant.

Provided you don't make a profit.

No I can sell off my attic full of tat "regulary" and not become liable =

for tax provided that the selling price is less than the cost price you =

and can probably include delivery charges if the buyer isn't paying those.

If you buy something with the intention of selling that is "business" an= d should be declared but again you only pay tax if you make a profit. Though why some one would buy something to sell and not make a profit seems a bit odd.

HMR&C do look at eBay and look for people "trading" but not declaring th= e profits generated. The people concerned may well consider themselves not= to be "in business" as they have full time wage slave jobs and the eBay =

stuff is just a "leisure time" activity. But if they are makinga profit= they are "in business" and profits need to be declared.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I certainly don't; but then again it wasn't me who visited the scrappy yesterday... ;)

For this private individual there's no issue at all; 'profit' doesn't even come into it as it's not being done as a business; any more than flogging superfluous personal tat from home on ebay or in the local paper.

Reply to
Lobster

Bet taht regulation really works for the Pikeys who come round street looking for scrap ? ... they don't ask for any ID ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Especially not if you have had your telephone line out of action, for days at a time, three times in as many months by somebody stealing the cable.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Where will endorsements be noted? Insurance companies like to see both parts of a licence, especially after a claim. As driving licence info is private, the driver and insurance company will need to phone the DVLA to check up the licence.

Reply to
Timmy

Take a pensioner along and get the money paid to him/her.

Reply to
Timmy

As it will all be on a database, the insurance comanies will just log onto the DVLA website, as everyone else already does to check insurance. The Data Protection Acts either already do or will be modified to allow this.

Reply to
John Williamson

Or you create a new breed of middle man who will accept payment for the scrap from the yard and pay out cash to the man in exchange for a small percentage...

One presumes it will be a requirement for you to continue to trade as same...

Reply to
John Rumm

Perhaps it was a "penny" washer, and inflation got to it ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

No, although I am sure the "unintended" consequence of extra revenue for HMRC will not have been missed.

Reply to
John Rumm

DPA does not need, nor ever has needed to be modified for this purpose.

Reply to
bert

I think your understanding is correct.

Reply to
bert

Would that apply, as he is simply taking metal to someone who will buy it, rather than disposing of waste and paying for this service?

Reply to
Toby

The metal is a waste product of the paid for work carried out so is therefore "commercial waste". To take that *any where* be it a recyling depot, the tip, or a scrappy the paid tradesman should have a Waste Transfer Licence. And even if they have a licenec they still can't use the HWRC places they have to use the commercial waste places and be charged...

This is why many tradesmen will much rather the client allows them to either leave waste for the client to dispose of(*) or shove it in the domestic waste bin.

You really don't want to start looking at the law that revolves around waste, waste management, tracking etc etc it is a nightmare.

(*) This same waste is now not "commercial waste" as it's the clients property that the client is disposing of. All this in the domestic/trademans context.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

John Williamson wrote

This is about driving licences, not insurance. Insurance companies need to know if a driver has a valid licence and if it's clean or not.

Reply to
Timmy

no they don't. They might want to know that detail about the person who has the policy, but if a car is insured for "any driver", they have no idea.

Reply to
charles

As I work at the DVLA....

Reply to