taking pipes and brassware to the scrappy

I've got a fair pile of copper pipe and brassware, accumulated for the last couple of years of DIY, to go to the scrappy.

Is it worth me separating fittings from pipework?

Reply to
Chris French

There was a thread about this a little while ago. I think the concensus was 'yes' as copper is worth slightly more than braziery. Can't remember exactly but no doubt someone will chip in shortly. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Dunno but I hear they are not allowed to pay cash any more. Maybe you have to "register" with them and get a cheque or something. Be good to know as I've some copper (my own) to get rid of.

Reply to
michael newport

There as a thread in another group about scrappies offering a cheque cashing service.

Reply to
Andrew May

In message , michael newport writes

Yes, they have to pay by cheque or electronic payment AIUI

Reply to
Chris French

My local one takes a photo of the car on the way (weigh?!) in, requires photo ID and deposits cleared funds in your bank account the next day. No cheques offered.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

You need to take photo ID and possibly bank details. After weighing in, you get a direct bank transfer at my "local"

Reply to
Tim Watts

Same with ours...

Reply to
John Rumm

Depends a bit on what you mean by fittings... The first time I used our local one, I separated out pipe and anything copper in one lot, and anything with brass on it like pipe stubs with compression fittings, or tank connectors etc on the end into a mixed brass lot.

The bloke sorting it at the scrappy promptly reclassified most of my brass as clean copper! So next time I did not bother unless it was something big and obvious like a set of taps.

With old hot water cylinders, I found if you leave the foam on, and an immersion heater in it, then they just knock 1kg of the total all up weight.

Other than that, they need photo ID (which they copy) and BACS details. Cleared payment by the following day.

Reply to
John Rumm

I did the same, but ended up with separate "copper" and "brass" payments. ISTR that the difference was worth having.

Reply to
newshound

That was my expectation - separate as best as possible to get as much as possible classed as clean copper, which is worth more than brasiery copper. In fact they took most of what I though was the lower grade at the higher price, so I was not complaining.

This may vary with the particular scrap merchant though.

Reply to
John Rumm

Roughly how much can I expect for one hot water cylinder. Are we talking £1, £10, £100?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort of loading it up and finding a scrappy or should I just leave it at the front of the house and hope it magically disappears.

I don't expect to have any other waste copper any time soon.

Reply to
Phil

£30 - £40 ish probably depending on size... (say £3/kg)

I recently weighed in a smallish cylinder, some scarp copper pipe, and

10m or so of lead pipe. Total came to about £135 IIRC.
Reply to
John Rumm