Saw for chipboard floors etc.?

Hi all,

does anyone know about any powertools like this one, that's capable of cutting flooring chipboard?

only cuts up to 12mm and I think the standard chipboard floors are

22mm, right?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
oh

19mm or 22mm
Reply to
m1ss_wh1te

gives everything a great review, so I wouldn't take much notice of him, probably paid to say nice things.

Standard chipboard flooring is 18mm, so this wouldn't work. Use a circular saw that has a removeable riving knife or a Fein Multimaster/Bosch PMF 180 multi tool.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think they're about 18mm - but more than 12 anyway, so that tool won't do.

Why not just use a circular saw - if you don't have one you can buy one for less than the tool you cite.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Buy a cordless circular saw then you can cut most depths in wood. Also you can set the depth on the saw.

Reply to
George

You need to spend a lot of money to get a decent cordless circular saw, better off with mains IMO.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've had one for a couple of years and it has been very good as long as you accept its limitations. I've cut everything from ceramic tiling and aluminium trim (burr free with a TCT blade) to all manner of hardwoods. You _have_ to use extraction as the blade is fully enclosed and clogs unless the waste is extracted. The build quality IMO is very good indeed and it has one thing most power tools lack, a nice long cable.

It's a niche tool and probably the Fein Multimaster can do everything this little saw can but I wouldn't part with mine even after I buy the Fein kit.

Reply to
Jeff

Oh I dont know if you're willing to import from the states you can pick one up for £68 with P&P less the battery of course. :-)

Reply to
George

================================== If you mean for cutting and laying flooring then a basic corded circular saw is adequate. Look at

for ideas. If you want to cut access holes in an existing floor then a jigsaw (with pre-drilled hole for blade) will do.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Well why not screwfix? Machinemart is quite expensive

Reply to
George

Damn forgot the link

George

================================== No particular reason (not to use Screwfix) - just for the general idea, as I said. There's no shortage of circular saws, but the tool about which the OP enquired would seem to totally unsuitable for the kind of job he is planning, and that's why I referred him to a well-known catalogue.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

At £50 + £70 for the charger.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Screwfix is the new 'Bucks Book'. I recall being in the tool trade years ago & customers used the Buck & Hickman catalouge as a reference point. Didn't always buy from Bucks mind.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A jigsaw. Take off the shoe and hold the machine so the blade is as close to parallel to the floor as possible and cut carefully down into the wood. Once you're through you can put the shoe back on and cut normally provided there's nothing below (a bit hard to know without X-ray specs in most cases though). You can cut right up to a wall (which you can't with a circular saw) and even cut through floorboards halfway across a joist.

Reply to
John Stumbles

And it doesn't need to be a top class one for doing chipwood floor boards either. Indeed a cheapy that you won't feel miffed about wearing out due to the abrasive nature of chipboard dust is probably not a bad idea, make sure that it takes standard blades as well for the same reason.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

=================================== I didn't mean to imply that Machine Mart is some kind of standard against which others are measured, merely that it offers a wide range of typical products, as do others such as Screwfix, Toolstation etc. The fact is that we're spoiled for choice for most products and almost any major catalogue will have a range to suit most pockets / requirements.

I notice that Toolstation's new catalogue (arrived this morning) is now A5 size, presumably to compete with Screwfix for a place in the back pocket.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I think you missed out the bit about snapping off the jigsaw blade so it does not exceed the thickness of the chipboard. Better to be safe than sorry, and avoid chopping through a water pipe.

Geoff Beale

Reply to
gb

I said "provided there's nothing below". Otherwise cut with the blade horizontal-ish.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Once upon a time I had a manually operated 'circular' saw designed especially for cutting through floorboards. It consisted of a circular blade attached to a handle (so that only some 90 deg or so of the blade could cut) mounted in a base upon which you knelt to apply pressure upon the floorboard. A setscrew sort of device limited the cutting depth. Of course the blade could be reset when it got blunt to present a fresh set of teeth to the work. Pretty slow, but very useful, and being manual it was environmentally friendly. It's a shame that everybody seems to insist on power tools these days.

Reply to
Frank Erskine