Safety camera partnership

Why? It is illegal in Britain at night.

Reply to
Nightjar

On 19/12/2014 23:25, "Nightjar

Reply to
dennis

On 20/12/2014 06:55, "Nightjar

Reply to
dennis

Cutting in across three lanes 100 metres from an exit.

Indeed. I only wish I was in a position to need those checks..something I always wanted to do was get a PPL.

Reply to
Bob Eager

[28 lines snipped]

Yep. Parked up in Carmel, CA., got out of the car and a passer by (bless them!) said "You'll get a ticket". I asked why & they told me about the facing the 'wrong' way rule. So I did a very safe and convenient three point turn in the road.

Reply to
Huge

On 2014-12-20, Nightjar

Reply to
Huge

It is, in fact, no better than legalised banditry.

Ha! I bet you made his day. Not just from out of town, not even just from out of state - but a furriner to boot.

Reply to
Tim Streater

He's probably not entirely clear on the difference.

Reply to
Adrian

Well, I was driving a rental picked up in LA. I imagine they get a lot of tourists.

Reply to
Huge

In message , CB writes

In the early days of the national sprayer regulations (agriculture) points could be gained by undergoing an *on line* test.

Something similar might work for geriatrics like me who last consciously studied the highway code in 1960!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

My mother was caught by a mobile camera doing 35 in a 30 zone. She said (and this no word of a lie):

I have been driving for over 50 yrs, driving almost every day, living in seven different countries and five different capital cities and I have never had even a single accident, my fault or not. How dare they say I am a dangerous driver who needs to take a safety course?

Tim W

Reply to
Tim w

To which the simple answer is, of course, that it's a "speed awareness" course, and she was caught in excess of the speed limit...

Reply to
Adrian

I thought the ACPO 'rule' was that there would be no prosecution within speed limit + 10% + 2, ie 35mph or less in this instance.

Management took a course after being flashed at 36mph...

That's the speed at which they issue fixed penalties or speed awarness courses.

Reply to
ARW

I got a course for 46 in a 40, which is exactly 10% + 2.

Actually, the course was quite informative, if a little too long.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

The ACPO guideline is a guideline.

Reply to
Adrian

When did the guidelines start? According to the guidelines doing >=66 in a

40 zone is summons and I got away with a fixed penatly for doing that 10 years ago.
Reply to
ARW

Many, many moons ago - and probably just semi-formalised what most forces would have been doing anyway. But they'll have been tickled-about over the years, and have always been just guidelines.

The only thing that ISN'T a guideline is that 41mph in a 40mph is illegal, and there's a range of penalties on prosecution, with 3pt/fixed penalty being the only non-court option. A course is an alternative to prosecution, as is a bollocking from a real-live plod.

Reply to
Adrian

They can be good fun those real-life plods. I got stopped for using my mobile phone whilst driving. The officer asked me why I had been stopped and I said it was because I was using my phone. For answering correctly I was told that I would not get a ticket (and the usual lecture where I nodded at the appropiate times) and I could spent the £60 saved on the fixed penaly on a hands free kit for my phone . He also told me that he had already issued

30 tickets that day to people who denied using a phone whilst driving and that all of them had the same opportunity as me to admit what they had done.
Reply to
ARW

I have found that with increasing years I tend to get off easier when stopp ed by the Bill. I always try to pass the first test, the attitude test, and be as pleasant as possible. If you put yourself in a policeman's' shoes wh en he is stopping someone he really doesn't know what to expect, and I imag ine in a lot of cases he gets lots of abuse.

Anyway I think they take one look at me and think "Whats the point lecturin g this old bollix, he's not going to take much notice, is he ? "

I got away with a fixed penalty and points for doing 110 on the M1 one day. He did tell me this speed normally required a summons but as I was being n ice he let me off.

Reply to
fred