Safety camera partnership

Definitely worth recalling the famous statement "there are lies, there are damned lies and then there are statistics"

Reply to
johnjessop46

In such an instance how do thy know it was your can that was being read as it were, not another car nearby going the other direction etc upsetting the reading?.

FWIW theres one of they near Gt Abingdon on the road from Cambs to Haverhill thats doing that now, seems the speedo over reads by some 5 mph

Reply to
tony sayer

The thing that's missing from that last line is "within x km of the camera location" ( I cant remember what x is)

A couple of years ago we had a brand new junction onto the A303. It came from Day 1 with a speed camera at the point the new junction joined the dual carriageway. There was no history of accidents at this particular location but a roundabout approximately 1.5 mile away was a bit of a black spot.

Reply to
CB

Very dodgy road that as I recall.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Then that is a very stupid end to the rule. How can the speed at that point affect the number of accidents 1.5 miles away?

I've never actually seen a speed camera on a newly built road until it's been there 4 or 5 years, which would back up the original rule without your bit on the end.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

There are a number of shrines along it, presumably to people who have died. So they reduced the speed limit to 50 in spots.

In most of which I can't imagine how you could have come off the road at

100, never mind 50.

I know another place where they put a camera half-way between two junctions on an urban dual carriageway. There had been a number of incidents at each junction, and they were of course all with half a mile of the camera. And none within 3/8ths.

And another where several yobbos in stolen cars killed themselves - one into a kids playground at about 2am. Must protect the kids, so they put up a camera. That'll help a lot, won't it.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Accidents or deaths? One accident can result in more than one death.

Close to where I live, a decade or so there were a few deaths from cars crossing a central reservation on very slight bend in the road. As a result they put up a couple of safety cameras but it didn't stop the accidents. What did stop the accidents was installing a central crash barrier.

Reply to
alan_m

I think it means at least one person required medical attention.

They don't always think before they install things. I often come across things like keep left signs on pedestrian islands that block the driver's vision of oncoming traffic on the main road.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Rule or guideline?

Reply to
bert

Yes, there were a number of accidents there. A couple of girls got off a bus, and were mown down as they crossed the road. I never had much trouble with that road, but was occasionally overtaken by twerps doing a very high speed indeed.

Reply to
Tim Streater

AFAIK it's a rule, you can contest a camera shouldn't have been there if there's never been accidents nearby.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Sounds about right considering that the people instaling them could not give a f*ck about road safety.

Just like the A61 between Wakefield and Barnsley. And drivers of stolen cars ALWAYS slow down for speed cameras:-)

Reply to
ARW

I have, so you're wrong again. As usual.

Reply to
Huge

Then you should complain.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

In article , Tim Streater scribeth thus

Seem to remember it was one girl getting off the bus somewhile ago, never know there were Two at that spot.

It is a dangerous road too small for purposes now, many large lorries and other slow vehicles tension builds and then comes a bit of less then just so overtaking .. Next stop the undertakers;(...

And that bloody dean road cross-roads, not a very well thought out bit of construction...

Reply to
tony sayer

May have been one, it was some years ago. But there have been a number of accidents.

Not sure where that is.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I've long known that, but rarely ever park anywhere that would require the use of lights.

Reply to
Nightjar

Reply to
Bob Eager