Safety Awareness!

It's coming to that time of the year again when stories like 'THIS

are becoming more common.

It's too cold to run back to the van to get your protection and it' too cold to cold to do anything about it and it's JUST TOO COLD!

Well... safety in DIY is paramount... the traders should know this s it's their fault if they loose limbs and what not but the DIY are les aware due to us not really seing too many things go wrong.

Enough said: I just thought as a new commer to the forum i'd try m best to make people aware about the importance of H&S.

I nearly lost a butty once due to me falling off a couple of buckets was trying to sit on and we wouldn't want that to happen to anybody

-- Snowball

Reply to
Snowball

People will now rush out and buy direct vented goggles, and some will still wind up in hospital. Indirect vented are needed with dangle grinders.

Next thing ya know these tools will be illegal. To use one you'll have to pay =A3500 for a 4 week long training course run by some slightly clueful 17 yr old who'll try and teach you what you realised was inaccurate and inadequate 15 years ago. Then you'll need to buy your license card, which contains all sorts of inappropriate data, and enables you to buy 1 angle grinder per year after more exhaustive checks and form filling. For which you pay of course.

The popularity of dangle grinders will drop dramatically due to the ban on retail sales, so the prices will go up to above where they were 15 years ago.

Admittedly all this could have been avoided by mandating the sale of 1 pair of indirect vent goggles with every retailed grinder, but who cares if the average Jo is fleeced and our national productivity goes down the plughole in one area after another.

Think I'm kidding? I am now, but trust me, it will happen. Your basic freedoms will be whittled away to the point that you become fully dependant in every area, and you will be thus fleeced into poverty, and prosecuted for making your house better or safer.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

SNIP

Think I'm kidding? I am now, but trust me, it will happen. Your basic freedoms will be whittled away to the point that you become fully dependant in every area, and you will be thus fleeced into poverty, and prosecuted for making your house better or safer.

Already we have Orwellian government intrusion into our lives. Cameras in the streets watch our movements, Cameras watch our vehicles and the central big brother computer checks the number plates against central data base to see if the car is taxed, MOT tested and insured. Don't even think your home is your castle anymore - big brother has all sorts of right of entry (Unless you are built like a brick sh*t house and look as though you would be more trouble than its worth to annoy you)

John

Why don't animal rights campaigners throw paint over a Hells Angel wearing leather although women in fur seem to be fair game?

Reply to
John

A point worthy of mention any time of year. Unfortunately, there seems to be some sort of "loss-of-face" associated with the use of safety gear. Going back to my apprenticeship days, late 70s, this was certainly the case in the engineering work place at least.

Recently I had some renovation works done on an existing extension and was horrified to see the builder (very competent in many ways) cutting through a glazed drain with a Stil (sp) saw - no eye protection and no mask. He was working on a drain that disappeared under the house wall, so it was akin to a confined space. The guy all but vanished in the cloud of dust and drain fragments.

In this case, the weather could not be blamed. So either he is lazy or this is entrenched poor working practice for the reasons outlined above.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Because the cow was going to be killed for meat anyway, whereas the little furry beasts that make up a coat are only killed for their fur?

Reply to
Rob Morley

By this I can only assume you think it's ok to drive a car that's totally illegal? Just hope you don't get involved in an accident with an uninsured driver.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

| In article , | John wrote: | > Already we have Orwellian government intrusion into our lives. Cameras | > in the streets watch our movements, Cameras watch our vehicles and the | > central big brother computer checks the number plates against central | > data base to see if the car is taxed, MOT tested and insured.

The number plate reading cameras in Bradford got the number of the getaway car of the gang who killed the policewoman. Lead them straight to a gang in London. Other number plate reading cameras then tracked it down the M1. | By this I can only assume you think it's ok to drive a car that's totally | illegal? Just hope you don't get involved in an accident with an uninsured | driver.

Uninsured drivers already cost every insured driver GBP30 per year. Get uninsured drivers off the road ASAP.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Ironically not wearing the right gear can also lead to "loss-of-face"

Reply to
Matt Beard

Get it right:

The number plate reading cameras in Bradford got the number of a car owned by someone (who could have been anyone, even a poster in uk.d-i-y) Other number plate reading cameras then tracked it down the M1. End of story.

Reply to
Matt

| On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:39:08 +0000, Dave Fawthrop | wrote: | | >On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:08:05 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)" | > wrote: | >

| >| In article , | >| John wrote: | >| > Already we have Orwellian government intrusion into our lives. Cameras | >| > in the streets watch our movements, Cameras watch our vehicles and the | >| > central big brother computer checks the number plates against central | >| > data base to see if the car is taxed, MOT tested and insured. | >

| >The number plate reading cameras in Bradford got the number of the getaway | >car of the gang who killed the policewoman. Lead them straight to a gang | >in London. Other number plate reading cameras then tracked it down the M1. | | Get it right: | | The number plate reading cameras in Bradford got the number of a car | owned by someone (who could have been anyone, even a poster in | uk.d-i-y) Other number plate reading cameras then tracked it down the | M1. End of story.

That is what I said, only slightly reworded.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I used to know a tree surgeon who ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

Err, no, the car had been hired at Heathrow a couple of weeks before the incident occured. Why let the facts stand in the way of taking a swipe at someone else?

Reply to
The Wanderer

Yes, and it's very fortunate they didn't implement the shoot to kill policy again

(I just wondered from your orignal posting if you had been stuck in a timewarp for the past three or so days)

Reply to
Matt

| >That is what I said, only slightly reworded. | | Yes, and it's very fortunate they didn't implement the shoot to kill | policy again

Paranoia is a nasty condition :-(

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Yes of course - now lets consider a Hells Angel with a fur trim - still think he'll get painted or does the prospect of non pc retalliation still deter the activist?

Reply to
John

you assume too much - your approach is exactly the way the goverment gets its big brother systems into place. I have comprehensive insurance so I don't really care if the other guy is insured or not. If the government "really" want to tax motorists, adding the cost of the road tax to fuel ensures that usage is proportional to payment. This crowd just want you on the system for control.

Reply to
John

Someone who is uninsured and knocks down your wife or kids is unlikely to stop. Your own insurance won't help there.

The VED is tiny compared to insurance for most.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

| I have comprehensive insurance so I don't really care if the other guy is | insured or not.

So you do not care that you spend GBP30 per year on your insurance premium, paying for third parties injured by uninsured drivers?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I care more that Big Brother is watching me uninvited.

Are you now saying that the premiums I pay will immediately come down by £30 per year?

Reply to
John

It's probably roadkill :-)

I don't think outlaw bikers are much to do with the fashion scene, so targeting them wouldn't really achieve much in terms of raising awareness of cruelty to animals in the cause of human vanity, would it?

Reply to
Rob Morley