S.I. or British M.U.?

Antonio Maschio wrote in news:e0rg08$cpa4$ snipped-for-privacy@news3.infoave.net:

Nothing wrong with "guess"; it goes back to Chaucer.

The Americans kept parts of our language much purer than we did.

(I don't like to think what Noah Webster and the meejah did to the rest)!

mike

Reply to
mike

There's no such thing as American English. It's either English or it isn't.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Centimetres are deprecated in SI units. They belong to the CGS system.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

My car manual quotes tyre inflation pressures in bar (metric but not SI). No mention of PSI.

Increasingly sold in metric sizes, particularly the better quality ones (e.g. Spax)

Yes, a magnum is 1.5 L and is readily available. A Nebuchadnezzar is 15 L and used mainly for promotional purposes, the cost per unit volume being significantly higher than normal bottle sizes. The Drappier Champagne house make even larger sizes.

Alistair Riddell

You can ask for them and you'll get 1200 X 600's.

Reply to
Phil L

The UK is 'officially' metric in its measuring system. We have a prorogation from the European Commission to retain certain 'traditional' measures which are deemed of special interest; these are primarily; the pint, (for sales of beer and milk -delivered to the door in bottles; and the mile, for measurements of road distances and signage {'London 56 M; Services 10 M, 25M; Speed Limit 70mph, 60mph, 40mph, 30 mph} All other measurements must be stated in metric, although it's frequently ignored. Materials are sold in metre lengths, carpets are quoted in sq. metres, vegetables are priced in Pound/Pence per Kilogram, however most people will ask for five pounds of potatoes, two yards of cotton, a 2x4 timber depicted as 50mm x

100mm. And when asked for a board, although it'll be a 2440 x 1220 , the salesperson will call it an Eight-by-Four. I doubt if you could find one percent of males who'll know their height in metric nor their 'inside-leg measurement' and I know of no female who'll quote their bra size in centimetres! Luckily we can buy rules marked in both metric and 'English' marking
Reply to
Brian Sharrock

We use the imperial system, at least everyone I know uses the imp system including shops, stores, merchants and everyone else. Officially we use the metric system but no one does in reality, it was primarilly brought in to rip UK residents off at the petrol pump - we used to buy our petrol / deisel / oil in gallons (5.5 litres) and when it was raised in price by the government or their controllers, the oil industry, it went up by 5 or 10p a gallon, now it goes up by 5 or 10p litre and it's not as noticable as going up by 50p a gallon.

Reply to
Phil L

Which supermarkets? All the ones I go in sell milk in 2 litre, 1 litre and 500 ml containers.

Reply to
Bob Martin

The message from Bob Martin contains these words:

In the UK? Really? All the ones I've seen are in pints. We always buy the 2.272 litre size - 4 pints. There's two in the fridge right now.

Reply to
Guy King

Some other things such as TVs and computer monitors are "officially" sized in inches, wherever you are in the world.

Vehicle tyres partly likewise; they are a mish-mash (eg 165/70 x 13, the 165 being mm and the 13 being inches).

UK carpets are great: standard width 4 metres but length and area in either.

But what I (age 49 and educated in the UK basically in metric) want to know is why British builders, irrespective of age and mostly younger than me, always seem to deal in Imperial!

Reply to
rrh

Because their elevator doesn't visit the top floor....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Usually sold in metric reams these days (500 sheets). IIRC a ream was

480 sheets?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In Scotland we used to get 1/6, 1/5 and 1/4 gills depending on the pub. Oh, the joy of finding a quarter-gill pub.

I did once buy a quintuple of a single malt. Can't remember the measure, but it came in a half-pint glass.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Both are "hard of thinking". If you can't use both, easily, you're no-one.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

But that's because the 100mm module is the same as the 4"module.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You get both. Round here the big supermarkets (Tescbury's) sell it in pint multiples while the smaller local places like One Stop have gone metric.

Reply to
Andy Wade

And theYorkshire gill was not the same.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"nightjar .uk.com>"

I'm WAY over that group but use all systems, including three types of temperatures.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No "ish" about it: the base size, A0, has an area of 1 square metre

has all the details.

"Reams" of 500 sheets. The original Imperial ream was 480 sheets, IIRC.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Does that mean their leavesdrop off in winter?

Reply to
Mary Fisher