Running my bath this morning

Page 2 of 2

Yes, I know that. I DID that. I thought I SAID that I did that ...
But my point is that if I'd been alone - which might happen one day - and had to wait for someone to come and see to one tap the whole system would be shut down in the interim.
That's neither desirable, convenient or, it could be argued, safe.

The bath taps are against a floor to ceiling cupboard. The piping to the taps is accessible from that cupboard. Spouse designed the plumbing like that deliberately, to make life easier for himself.
As I've said before, he's not daft.
I asked only two questions: about the cost of isolators and whether it was the law that all appliances had them fitted. The actual fitting of them is no problem at all, in any location.
Mary

How often do your taps fail in this way? Most will drip long before they cease to turn off in a big way. I'd guess once every 5 years would be enough for preventative maintenance.
--
*Filthy stinking rich -- well, two out of three ain't bad

"Mary Fisher" wrote | The lovely specially smelly stuff (we're going to a rather special wedding | tomorrow, OK I KNOW that tv doesn't communicate smells but it will make me | feel good) had been put in the hot water and the cold tap was turned on | full to make lots of bubbly bubbles (what other kinds are there?) | Meanwhile I went next door to the lav. | When I went back I turned off the cold water ... but it kept on coming. I | called Spouse. I shouted Spouse. I panicked and went downstairs to turn | off the mains. In the meantime the cold water had made the now tepid water | in the tub rise to the overflow.
A neighbour of mine started his bath running, went out into the tenement close for some reason or another with just a towel round his middle, the front door closed behind him (rising butt hinges), no-one else in the top floor flat, no spare key ...
Owain
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:51:18 +0100, "Owain"

So did his butt rise??

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
"BigWallop" wrote | "Owain" wrote | > A neighbour of mine started his bath running, went out into the tenement | > close for some reason or another with just a towel round his middle, the | > front door closed behind him (rising butt hinges), no-one else in the top | > floor flat, no spare key ... | And ? Don't leave it there. Please tell us what happened.
Fortunately all the flats have external stopcocks in the close, so by balancing on the stair handrail he was able to turn off the mains, and the internal cold/hot tanks are pretty small.
Stage two involved a large hammer and a crowbar to gain entry, IIRC.
Owain

Ouch !!!
Well done that man. Now that's quick thinking. And he had a towel at hand to mop his brow. What a lucky bugger. :-))
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Sod's law says that the replacement washers would be from a batch of inferior quality and all fail within 6 months of fitting. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
How often does a washer fail in this way? I've only had one washer break up in this way in the last 25 years - and it did give me fair warning that it was poorly - it always was a job for next week-end (for six months) :(.

Probably a cheaper solution in terms of time and hassle (assuming DIY)

Service valves - from 10 to 25 from Screwfix for all 10 (depending on type and assuming a mix of 15mm and 22mm). I've fitted them to the pipes for most taps and the loo.
--
Alan

The water regs state ......
Water supply systems shall be capable of being drained down and be fitted with an adequate number of service valves and drain taps so as to minimise the discharge of water when water fittings are maintained or replaced.
the guidance notes state....
Inlets to all float operated valves, cisterns, clothes washing machines, dish washing machines, water heaters, water softeners, and other similar appliances should be provided with service valves to facilitate maintenance.
It is generally considered good practice, on new installs, to put service valves in line with taps. Though by these guidance notes not a requirement.
You can buy isolating valves for 2.99 at homebase better still look on net even cheaper. requirement now states that all appliances should have a means of isolation to them to save draining down the whole or large part of the system.

That doesn't mean an isolator at each appliance.

Since the only type of system you'd have to drain down is a storage system, why are all the commonly available service valves high pressure types?
--
*Sorry, I don't date outside my species.