Running my bath this morning

The water regs state ......

Water supply systems shall be capable of being drained down and be fitted with an adequate number of service valves and drain taps so as to minimise the discharge of water when water fittings are maintained or replaced.

the guidance notes state....

Inlets to all float operated valves, cisterns, clothes washing machines, dish washing machines, water heaters, water softeners, and other similar appliances should be provided with service valves to facilitate maintenance.

It is generally considered good practice, on new installs, to put service valves in line with taps. Though by these guidance notes not a requirement.

Reply to
BillP

Yes, I know that. I DID that. I thought I SAID that I did that ...

But my point is that if I'd been alone - which might happen one day - and had to wait for someone to come and see to one tap the whole system would be shut down in the interim.

That's neither desirable, convenient or, it could be argued, safe.

The bath taps are against a floor to ceiling cupboard. The piping to the taps is accessible from that cupboard. Spouse designed the plumbing like that deliberately, to make life easier for himself.

As I've said before, he's not daft.

I asked only two questions: about the cost of isolators and whether it was the law that all appliances had them fitted. The actual fitting of them is no problem at all, in any location.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Wrong.

I do wish people would read what I wrote without making assumptions.

Look above, he INSTALLED ALL THE PIPEWORK. In fact he did install some of the taps but not the bath taps, which are original to our bathroom if not to the present bath which is older than the original 1930s model.

No, I didn't say that I wanted him to fit them. I asked about the price and legal position. It was his idea to fit them after this incident.

I don't understand that expression.

There won't be any major flooding. I know how to work the mains tap despite being a fluffy headed little woman. I even know how to call the water emergency number ... ooh, I'm not your average little woman.

So do I. More than your reading and understanding ability.

By the way, I think you meant 'hubby's' - but he's not my hubby, he's my husband, usually known as Spouse.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So, from all this, we can ascertain that the only fault was an old bath tap which had nothing to do with the new plumbing that your "hubby" (spouse) (slave) installed. And also that you are not the type of person who loses their mind in times of crisis.

You have already proved that you prevented any major disaster by taking the correct action because of this one incident, so why is your spouse (hubby) (slave) now worrying about your ability to avert any further problems which may occur ?

Reply to
BigWallop

No, it was a perished washer. They do go in the best regulated households, you know. Or perhaps you have some which are everlasting ...

It's not for me to say, but I'm renowned as a tower of strength in emergencies of all kinds.

That's childish.

What on Earth makes you think he is? That's a rhetorical question, don't feel that you need to reply. If you do you'll be wasting your virtual breath.

You make the sort of assumptions from no evidence which give men a bad name among some types of women.

Happily, I've reached the age of wisdom when I've lerned not to generalise from the particular.

Have you heard the one about stopping digging when you're in a hole?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And have you ever heard of being wound up. Now take that frown off your face and smile. :-)) That's better. You do have a lovely smile you know. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Tsk, you really must work on your chat-up lines..... ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

You can buy isolating valves for £2.99 at homebase better still look on net even cheaper. requirement now states that all appliances should have a means of isolation to them to save draining down the whole or large part of the system.

Reply to
Keithc666767117

That doesn't mean an isolator at each appliance.

Reply to
IMM

Since the only type of system you'd have to drain down is a storage system, why are all the commonly available service valves high pressure types?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

You're assuming it was meant to work! Which isn't _always_ the desired effect! ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube