Re: Pack the bags, we're going to Belgium,....

I saw a documentary about this dude a couple of years ago. As a big fan of modern art including some performance art, I find him to be a bit of a 'plate spinner'.

Reply to
Cato

Spencer in my neighbor. He's been doing nufde shoots for over fifteen years. He went to Europe in part because he's gained some fame but mostly because it's more "acceptable" there. Everytime he'd do a shoot here in New York, he spent 3/4 of the setup time practicing fast escapes... And New York technically allows public nudity!

Reply to
Pierre Levesque, AIA

Performance art... oh my. Somebody take this boy to a French Impressionist exhibit, stat.

Reply to
gruhn

Impressionist

Oh my god, it's just horrible to be interested in some forms of art that aren't paint on a canvas! I think many perfomance artists(loose term) are full of crap or just nuts (like the Austrian dude who cut his arm off as part of performance piece), but there are a few that I think explore some interesting ideas about blurring the line between sculpture and perfomance. I've always been interested in people like Christo and the Harrison's( and on the rare occasion Vito Acconci) for their process. The end product is not that interesting to me, but rather how they got there, that's where the interesting ideas happen. That's what their work is really all about anyway.

Tunick on the other hand is a one trick pony. Generally un-interesting and doing if for shock value alone. IMHO

Reply to
Cato

On 10 May 2005, Cato wrote

FWIW, I find Christo's wrapped buildings a *lot* more thought-provoking than his landscape stuff: it's more interesting when it involves a designed rather than found article.

(In a similar vein I like Rachel Whitread's plaster casts of spaces, like the inside of a whole house, which raise issues about the nature and independent existence of spaces.)

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

I completely understand your horror. It can be cured though.

Reply to
gruhn

If the cure requires a closed mind, then I'll pass.

If it's not your cup-o-tea, then don't bother. Stick to your impressionism, dogs playing cards, or whatever makes you feel warm and cozy.

Reply to
Cato

"Cato"

I wonder if one's life could be construed as a bit of a performance art, because I feel that mine's that way sometimes.

...Maybe that's partly why I think I've always preferred design over art.

Reply to
Richard MacIntyre

You're actually trying to be mean. That's so cute. I guess part of enjoying performance art is being too serious to understand light sarcastic ribbing.

Reply to
gruhn

I can't see your face through the monitor, so if you were being sarcastic my apologies.

Reply to
Cato

Winkies are too cute for Peter. ;P

Reply to
Richard MacIntyre

I feel left out.....he didn't mention Elvis on velvet. :-)

Reply to
P. Fritz

What? no nascar shrine? You're in the south :-) >

Reply to
P. Fritz

Those girls have such beautiful hips.

Reply to
gruhn

It's Florida. There's an evil Masshole vibe in the air.

Reply to
gruhn

Maybe you ought to pick up one of these. It'll help you make buddies with you're Nascar neighbors.

Cato