RF sockets different sizes!!?

Hi all,

I've just moved into a house, the previous owners has stated that they have upgraded the aeriel to a digital one because the analogue reception wasnt very good. however whenever I try to put my aeriel cables into the wallsockets they dont fit. They go into the hole bit wiggle about and rest in the socket rather than fit like they do in the back of any of my tv's. If they have upgraded the aeriel to digital does that mean I need a slightly different aeriel cable?! Also there is no reception at all when I fit the cables so I was wondering if the cables need to be a different grade or something.

Cheers All

Dale

Reply to
das

On or around 9 Nov 2005 12:23:11 -0800, "das" mused:

Cheap chinese inports probably. Some sockets\plugs are oversized\undersized as they're not that well made.

No, see above.

Shouldn't be, unless youre current grade is string. Chances are, the TV just wants retuning. They could have taken a power supply with them from behind the TV for a masthead amp, in which case not a lot will work.

Reply to
Lurch

have they used F-Type connectors by chance ? is so you can buy screw on F-Type plugs or a push on F-Type to UHF adapter

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Hmmm, is one or the other connector (aerial lead / aerial socket) threaded?, of late many connectors have changed from the standard coax plug/socket to the new "digital" F-type connector (with a threaded ferrel)

Have a look here for examples:-

Mike Dodd

Lurch wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ther seems to be a lot of this about

mike

Reply to
mike ring

| Hi all, | | I've just moved into a house, the previous owners has stated that they | have upgraded the aeriel to a digital one because the analogue | reception wasnt very good. however whenever I try to put my aeriel | cables into the wallsockets they dont fit. |They go into the hole bit | wiggle about and rest in the socket rather than fit like they do in the | back of any of my tv's.

Are they "F" type, If so change your aerial wires to F type, they are better than normal TV.

| If they have upgraded the aeriel to digital does that mean I need a | slightly different aeriel cable?! Also there is no reception at all | when I fit the cables so I was wondering if the cables need to be a | different grade or something.

You can tell cheap coax from expensive easily. Cheapest has just a copper braid outer, Next best has copper braid plus aluminium (silver) foil, Best has copper braid, plus copper foil (CT100). Beg/borrow/steal a DTT STB and see if it works OK. If not improve the coax to CT100.

uk.tech.digital-tv is thataway -> -> They know everything about DTT.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Thanks all, ive just bought a digital aeriel cable and an F type convertor to see if thats it, but if not I just call in an aerial man or try to get hold of the previous owners. Dont want to go making things any worse.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Reply to
das