replacing just a few bath/shower tiles?

Hi all I think a few of the tiles around our bath/shower have had the plaster underneath 'blown'. The tiles look slightly discoloured, and sound a little hollow when tapped, compared to other tiles elsewhere. They are the bottom row of tiles (ie. the ones just above the bath) and are the ones where the flow from the shower will hit most.

I am guessing that some water from the shower has got behind these tiles (either at the grouting, or at the tile/bath seal) and caused the plaster behind to expand.

Would it be possible/easy just to remove just the tiles in this row or part row, clean up the grouting on the adjacent tiles, clean up the plasterboard, and refit with new tiles? I have spare tiles, luckily. I'm unsure whether removing the grouting from the edges of the adjacent remaining towels will be a hassle, and if so the best way to do this.

Any other suggestions and pointers gratefully received. Oh, fairly obviously I am reconciled to replacing the bath/tile seal as well.

Thanks J^n

Reply to
jkn

Its doable, yes. Use a bradawl or grout rake to cut through the grout and adhesive around the tile. But if theyre on plasterboard, odds are removing one or 2 will cause more to fail, and is best avoided unless unavoidable.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

The tiling is onto a proper plastered wall, not a partition wall.

Ta J^n

Reply to
jkn

Good - then you need a grout rake or bradawl. If the job is a 'need' for some reason.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Hmm.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Thanks - but sorry, don't get what you mean by "If the job is a 'need' for some reason.". Do you mean 'if you really need to do it'?

Ta, J^n

Reply to
jkn