Replace a fuse box?

With a modern consumer unit. One of the old 4 fuse boxes, with a new 6 way box. One ring, one light, immersion and cooker circuit.

What would be a reasonable price for this, in the North Bristol area?

It seems simple enough and I have completely rewired a house in the past but have no experience of these non fused boxes.

Advice please

Reply to
EricP

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:18:56 GMT, EricP strung together this:

£300, +\- £50 or so.
Reply to
Lurch

There is no practical difference between wiring in a modern CU from an older fuse box. Unless it's a split load type, but just looking at these is pretty self explanatory to anyone capable of wiring a house otherwise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How do you mean "non fused boxes"? A consumer unit is always used to house circuit breakers of some kind, be it rewireable, electronic or automatic mechanical switching. There is no real difference between them really.

This link shows, what is a typically normal, consumer unit housing:

links show the different MCB's and rewireable fuses that can be installed to the consumer unit:

(This shows a 5 Amp rewireable fuse, but they do come in all sorts of ratings)

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks, so thats a DIY job then.

Reply to
EricP

Sorry I did not make it clearer. It's the old wire fuses.

Its a little 4 fuse box on the wall. The job is box off wall, new one on the wall and wire it up.

But no need to worry thanks, the figures already given mean its a no-do or DIY. :))

Reply to
EricP

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 02:03:40 GMT, EricP strung together this:

Eh? From the mashings of words that were loosely assembled as your first post in this thread I'd say it wasn't a DIY job, for you.

Reply to
Lurch

What make is the fuse box you have EricP? Wylex have plug in MCB's for their older boxes, so you may be able to replace the rewireable fuses with MCB's that just plug in like the fuse cartridge does on your old box.

Like these ones from

:

BigWallop

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 02:03:40 GMT, EricP strung together this:

I've reviewed the situation and have decide that if you wanted a cheap replacement, i.e. not much in the way of expansion, then that figure could probably be halved. This of course all makes the rather shakey assumption that the existing installation and wiring in general is in fact safe and in good order. If it wasn't then look at a rewire.

Reply to
Lurch

It's a Wylex cream coloured box, 7x5 inches, four fuses on the left and the on/off switch on the right. The cheapest thing a shoddy builder of estate boxes would shove in.

and you may have led me to exactly what I need.. :)))

The box looks ratty, but it's the old fuses that I don't really like now. Need something with a bit more sensitivity.

Cheers :)

Reply to
EricP

Cheers for this. :)