Removing wall toilet roll holder?

I have a smashed ceramic toilet role holder which the previous owners cemented to the tile wall using some sort of white powder fixing compound around the contact surface of the holder.

I can't work out how to take the holder off the wall without damaging the tile. I don't have a spare tile. There are no screws attaching the holder just the fixing compound.

Would using a sharp knife be the best way to remove it?

Reply to
Gareth

In article , Gareth writes

Possible good and bad news here, I wouldn't expect a cement based adhesive to stick to a glazed tile so you may find that either it is just grout round the outside and it is fixed with something softer or the tile glaze has been scraped to get a key.

Either way, approach is similar, apply tape to surrounding tile surface for protection and then chip/scrape away at the grout/adhesive line with a scraper and see how it goes.

Reply to
fred

Oh, come on - just the job for an ANGLE GRINDER

Reply to
robgraham

Remove the tile and replace with with a contrasting one to make a Feature.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Or even replace it with a new holder that is supposed to take the place of a tile.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

SLEDGEHAMMERRRRRR

Reply to
NT

SLEDGEHAMMERRRRRR I had a similar problem and parts of the tile got broken . I levelled the area off and bought picture to go in its place. I put the new toilet roll holder close by Robbie

Reply to
Roberts