Removing rivets

Hi Chaps,

I'm trying miserably to change the speakers in my daughter orrible Clio but the speakers are rivets on to the inner door skin.

How do you get the rivets off without breaking the plastic speaker surround ?

Reply to
Stephen

Jim K

Yes.

Reply to
Clot

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Drill them out.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not having a Clio... it depends what you mean by rivets. If they are plastic pop rivets that have a plastic pin through the middle you can push it through and then prise the rivet out. Otherwise, it's careful drilling as the others have suggested.

Spamlet

Cut a hole in the door from the outside, and go in from behind of the speaker. Make good the remaining mess with car body filler.

Reply to
Adrian C

Wouldn't you be better off asking on a car forum? oreeble'.clio.fr or some such? There may be someone with the required skills on here but the chances are slim are they not?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Gas Axe

Reply to
Me Here

You can try drilling them out but they will eventually just spin in the hole, then you can try to grab a bit of the torn-up rivet with needle pliers and hold it still but that won't work and you'll grate your hand with the drill chuck and then fling a piece of ripped-off rivet into your eye. Then, in desperation, you'll try to hold the back of the rivet with a finger and a) burn yourself, then b) cut a perfect circle into your fingertip when the rivet spins anyway, then c) drill into your finger and firmly attach yourself to a piece of cardboard out of the door of a horrible piece of French shit.

Best of luck explaining that in A&E.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Wouldn't you be better off asking on a car forum? oreeble'.clio.fr or some such? There may be someone with the required skills on here but the chances are slim are they not?

On form to date I'd have though the chances were pretty good! Excellent group this is.

Spamlet

This sounds about right from what I remember from my own renault - though not a clio -:

the door trim off and tackle the rivets from the back, and replace with proper screws for next time. (Actually you may find the window winder (if its not an electric jobby) has a spring clip that has to be prised out before it pulls off : I'm getting a bit out of date here though...)

Spamlet

Aluminium pop rivets?

You drill the heads off, then they fall out. This requires a VERY SHARP drill (brand new is good) a little bigger than the rivet (at least bigger than the hole it's in, usually easier if it's bigger than the head) and a hand drill with good speed control and a gentle trigger. It's also useful if the central chisel point of the drill is smaller than the hole in the middle of the rivet, to help guide it. You can use a favoured drill with slightly re-ground edges (concave), but that's tricky.

Then go to it, but BE GENTLE. If the rivet falls out and you don't stop immediately, you'll push the drill straight through the plastic speaker surround.

Soft aluminium rivets with protruding steel pins can't be drilled like this (the drill skids off), so you're best taking an angle grinder to them.

Don't go crazy at making swarf. Steel swarf is a bad thing near speakers - bag them up first (or else just cut the aluminium).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Apart from this thread you will find several others if you google "clio speaker rivets" You are far from the first. Here's a starter:

Spamlet

Wouldn't you be better off asking on a car forum? oreeble'.clio.fr or some such? There may be someone with the required skills on here but the chances are slim are they not?

A V12 sidewinder unit should do the job, I have one in the loft but the valves have blown. You should be able to get a cheap one from ebay.

Reply to
Iris Trinder

As far as I know, you didn't say what form the rivets were.

Expand on this and I might be able to come op with an answer.

Dave

Reply to
dave

drill 'em out?

Reply to
dave

Hi Dave,

They are pop rivets, which hold the speaker on.

Reply to
Stephen

Hi Dave,

They are pop rivets, which hold the speaker on.

Reply to
Stephen

carful drilling with a controllable drill and a drill diameter JUST larger than the rivet body.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher