Removing old sealant from bath rim.

Does anyone have any pet solutions to easy removal of said sealant? I'm almost feeling like buying a new bath to overcome this rather arduous task. Does anything dissolve this stuff?

Maris

Reply to
Maris

Silicone eater

Screwfix's offering
didn't think they were that great when I tried them but you might have more success.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

'Easy' & 'sealant removal' don't go together! It's a common job for me.

I've tried the sealant remover

& it works to an extent, but needs to be left on for ages to work, so I can't really use it.

Best way I've found is a scraper like this

have a very (and I mean very) sharp blade. Scrape down the wall to remove the silicone from the vertical surface, then horisontally, then use a Stanley knife where the scraper won't fit (like behind taps or shower rails.

Used with care a sharp scraper won't damage the bath surface at all as long as you keep it flat against the surface.

I'd love an easier way if anyone knows of one.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 09:45:33 +0100, Maris mused:

God old hard work, works every time. I tend to try and drop the bath a bit to remove the sealant as well, makes it a bit easier.

Reply to
Lurch

OK, thanks for the insights, guys. In fact, as soon as I posted this I went on to Ebay and saw a new bath on auction at 99p with 2 mins to go. Naturally I went for it. Only problem is I have to travel 130 miles to fetch it. Still, it will save on all that labour and is still a good price. Maris

Reply to
Maris

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:16:22 +0100, Maris mused:

Erm, you have to get the old bath out, at which point all the ssilicone etc... will need cleaning from the bath and tiles anyway so all buying a new bath is going to do is create more work.

There is also a possibility the old bath won't come out without taking most of the tiles off around it.

Reply to
Lurch

. Sorry, forgot to mention that the reason I was removing the silicon was because I had removed the tiles! The bath should come out quite easily - 1700mm length in a 1800mm space.

Maris

Reply to
Maris

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 00:03:00 +0100, Maris mused:

Ah, that makes more sense.

Reply to
Lurch