Removing old floor tiles.

In the process of refitting my kitchen, and the concrete floor has some old tiles that have been stuck down for a few decades with super- strong adhesive.

Currently using a scraper and elbow grease to remove them. Anyone have any tips or tricks to make the job easier?

I tried pouring white spirit over some of them to help dissolve the adhesive, but no joy.

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

Forget to mention, they are foam-backed vinyl tiles. So ripping up the vinyl layer is easy - but it loaves a foam layer securley stuck to the floor.

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

Garden spade worked for me on 1960's thermoplastic tiles on concrete. really stubborn bits bolster chisel and lump hammer

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Same method worked for me too, but I also used a wallpaper removal steamer which made the job much easier by softening the adhesive. Expect to repair screed by using self levelling compound after. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Ah - I wonder if a heat-gun will help the process?

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

Two good options

1) A Bosch scraper PSE 180E. This comes with a flexible blade scraper and will remove this lot very quickly. It can have additional uses for power carving if you like craft work. £64.95 from Axminster

2) A Fein Multimaster. This tool of excellence does this job and far more. Probably my best value tool purchase ever. From £109.94 at Axminster

Reply to
Andy Hall

I second Andy concerning his view on Fein - a brilliant tool chris

Reply to
mail