Kitchen floor tiles

In our old house (built ca. 1905), we had lovely Welsh quarry tiles on the kitchen and dining room floors.

We went out to look for tiles today (in Cardiff). Apparently, they're very hard to get now - all the quarries closed down. It seems a shame that instead of a perfectly attractive local product, now the decent tiles have to come all the way from mainland Europe.

That was just an aside really. My main point: are (even hardened) terracotta floor tiles asking for trouble in a kitchen?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Aren't Ruabon Tiles still going?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Depends on the surface finish of the tiles. A matt finish is fairly non slip. Had them in my last house and they lasted for years. [still there when I left]

Reply to
ronnie

Have quarry tiles got anything to do with quarries? At all?

Looks to me as if the name comes from:

quar·rel (kwôr??l, kwär?-)

noun

  1. a bolt or arrow with a quadrangular head, shot from a crossbow 2. a small, diamond-shaped or square pane of glass, as in a latticed window

Etymology: ME quarel < OFr < ML querellus < VL *quadrellum, dim. of L quadrus, a square

Reply to
Rod

I had no idea...

In fact they're made from clay, not stone. How confusing.

Still. The tileries closed down, at any rate.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Indeed - mainly I posted because it sounded as if someone in a shop was trying to mislead you.

Reply to
Rod

Given the Dennis Ruabon website shows then in industrial kitchens etc, they should be okay.

I mentioned them a while ago; someone said they weren't, but the website seems current

their stockist Topps Tiles doesn't seem to stock them

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If someone assumes something as simple and straightforward as the idea quarry tiles being tiles that come from quarries, an assumption in which almost no active explicit thinking lies, then any clues or hints to the contrary will simply be unnoticed.

The fellow in the shop probably did say that the "manufacturers" (or "factories" or whatever) had gone out of business. But unless he'd said: "quarry tiles: they don't actually come from quarries", then it would have passed me by just the same.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Owain coughed up some electrons that declared:

I had it from Topps that Ruabon had paused manufacturering, but were going to start up about now. But they were only going to do two colours, either red and brown or red and black IIRC - not the whole range.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Encarta (FWIW) agrees wholeheartedly with you so it must be right ;o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

We ahve just had new quarry tiles put down in our new kitchen. I don't know where they came from but the builder had no problem sourcing them. They are a bit noisy but we are at risk from flooding, so we wanted something that would survive should it happen.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan