Removing expanding foam from clothes

Yes, not clever I know but I got some on my favourite t-shirt....

Is there anything that will get this off?

I've heard olive oil, nail polish remover. Or what about the foam gun cleaner and/or foam eater stuff that screwfix sell?

Reply to
paulfoel

Get another one from Screwfix

IME nothing gets it off you or your clothes.

Reply to
stuart noble

... a gentle application of a blow torch on your clothes should remove most of the foam ... for really stubborn parts a Thermo Nuclear explosion is about the only option left.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

BTDTBTTS

(B = binned)

Reply to
Rod

Leave it in sunlight for a long time. That's about the only thing that causes foam to deteriorate.

Were you appearing on TV, wearing decent clothes for DIY? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Veg oil will shift it from fingers provided it hasn't fully cured. Next time I use the stuff I'll apply veg oil to my hands before using as a barrrier/release agent.

On clothing veg oil might help release it. Down to the OP on how favourite this T shirt is, how much foam is on it and how much time they want to spend trying to get it off.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The gun cleaner only works on wet foam. The foam eater *may* work for a small quantity, but chances of an invisible removal are not good alas.

Reply to
John Rumm

Acetone. Try a fibreglass shop - a gallon is usually cheaper than a small bottle from somewhere posh.

It won't work desperately well, but it's about your best shot.

Nail polish remover used to be acetone, but now it's more likely to be cellulose acetate which won't shift it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

*nods*, as the one who trod wet foam onto a carpet.

BTW another amazing use for expanding foam in this weather.... If you have cracks on your fingers from the cold weather you will know how difficult they are to heal.

One good way I have found is the following. Make sure the cut is clean/ dry and use nail cutters to slice off top layers of skin next to the cut as thats seems to put less pressure on the cut during healing. Squirt some foam onto a bit of paper. Then dab the cut area with foam, making sure its well covered. Then put a plaster over it. After it has dried you can remove the plaster and it will stay water proof giving a 'scab' over the cut.

A couple of days later and it should have healed the cut. YMMV, but I have found this method is much better than constant use of plasters which sometimes have no effect even after a week.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

Is acetone better than xylene in this application. I seem to remember from my younger days that the xylol in my chemistry set was of most use in dissolving the polystyrene the set came in.

Reply to
Grumps

I still have some stuck to the back of my head from 1992.

(only joking!)

Reply to
Bruce

Outside or inside?

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

angle grinder should do it

Reply to
Rick Hughes

One of my all-too-many "learning by experience" moments concerned a very aged but unused one of these cans, a nail and a hammer...

No, even when years past their "use by" date and with the valve seized, the contents haven't set into a solid lump. Just in case you are curious to know - I was :)

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

Looks like this has turned into a competition to see who can come up with the most novel way to say it aint coming off....

Reply to
paulfoel

It'll be easier to take the shirt off the foam than the other way round.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

THANKS .... there's my cup of tea splattered all over the computer screen ... bit of warning next time dear chap !

Reply to
Ash

Ho, ho, ho ...

I wondered why I could only hear in one ear! ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

The Foam is usually PU Foam. I have worked with this for crack injection/Water stopping for many years. There is a cleaner, WEBAC Cleaner B' that will shift partly cured PU but after about a week and it has fully cured it will not work. Hence I have a lot of working clothes that I stand in the corner at night.

Reply to
Merryterry

A small amount of white spirit will do the trick - pour a little on, then light it :-p

Reply to
Colin Wilson