removing carbon deposits from cooker rings

anyone know of any tried and tested chemical agents, preferably non abrasive, which will remove light to meduim carbon deposits from a three section gas hob ring consisting of an aluminium base, brass burner ring and a cast iron cap ?

there's quite a few products about but which ones actually work ?

tia

RT

Reply to
[news]

In message , "[news]" writes

Ceramic Hob cleaner works a treat removing carbonised deposits from ceramic hobs, never tried it on a gas cooker though.

Reply to
bof

Any of the sodium hydroxide based oven cleaners will work on the brass and steel bits, although they might damage any special finishes so try on an unobtrusive area first. They also dissolve skin, flesh and bones, so you need to take appropriate precautions.

Unfortunately, most things that dissolve burned on grease also dissolve aluminium -- I don't have an answer for that one. If it was just carbon, then an oxidising agent like hydrogen peroxide might remove it, but it's much more complicated. (Don't try hydrogen peroxide, I'm not sure how safely or explosively it might react with carbon. I would guess aluminium would be OK as it's coated in a thin hard oxide layer anyway, but the aluminium is probably an alloy and the hydrogen peroxide might react with the other constiutents of it.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Nothing like good old fashioned caustic soda. Brings your teeth up a treat.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

thanks all, guess I'll try a few products on the backside of a back ring

RT

Reply to
[news]

What the "carbon" is, is a grease and dirt mix that has ebonised after oxidising into a varnish-like polyester.

I wonder how Nitromorse would affect it.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

My wife gets shut of "immovable" pan stains by boiling cheap cola in it ! (about 15p at Tesco usually)

Reply to
Colin Wilson