Removing (a large and fresh) tree stump

Kinetic recovery rope helps - but attach a drag line to the stump first!!

Reply to
bert

I suspect that these days my sixth form chemistry text book would be classed as a publication likely to be of assistance to terrorists.

Reply to
Nightjar

When I was at school, there was an old text book in the Science Dept. library. It had details of how to make a wireless transmitter, and clearly described how to set up the gap for correct creation of the signalling spark.

Also, I once worked for the transport division, ie lorries, of a big confectionery company. The dept. had a device for firing a spot of chalk at the ground when the lorry test driver hit the brake pedal, so that the braking distance could be measured. The operator had to have a firearms license to prime the 'gun'.

Reply to
Davey

Google "ANFO". Still needs a high explosive to initiate it, though.

I'm presently watching "Breaking Bad" on Netflix. I suspect my Google searches as a result may have popped up somewhere. No, I have no intention of starting to "cook" methamphetamine.

Reply to
Huge

And/or drape something over the rope. I foolishly failed to do this and did several hundred pounds worth of damage to my Discovery when the stump sanpped off and flew into the back of it.

Reply to
Huge

Doesn't *your* daughter have a stump grinder? ;-)

Whereabouts are you?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

We did that on a fairly big conifer.

Took it down to about 3m, I dug round the sides and cut though and pulled out any side roots I could and then we used a wire-rope hand-winch from the top of this tree to the bottom of another to pull out the tap root.

That sounds like interesting work. On a small scale, my sister regularly goes 'ditch digging'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

This is a diy forum, copious amounts of night water percolated through wood ash...

I go down the stump grinder route, the little Vermeer in the back of the transit if its just a few 10" stumps or the tracked Carlton if they are a decent size and a days work, have to allow for breakages though as the drive belt on the Carlton costs 800 quid.

AJH

Reply to
news

Graham.

Cut down trees with Det cord .... but getting explosive to take out stumps may be a bit more difficult nowadays.

I removed a load of mixed stumps by using a chain ratchet winch.... drove 2 long angle irons into ground to give me purchase for winch to pull against.

Reply to
rick

I can't see it being used to remove a suburban leylandii hedge that had outgrown it's position though. Mrs Bucket would not approve. And surely no-one lays land drains like that any more.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Wouldn't a strip of land like that be best left to the tender ministrations of a litter of pigs?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer