Removal of Wall Part 2

Hi All

Well Ive dug my footings ready for the concrete bases to be laid to support some steel posts which will support my RSJ, and I've propped my load baring wall with 3 acros + strong boys. I'm just about to remove the wall but am a bit hesitant, will 3 acros be enough? I have a 10ft opening and have put one acro one side of the wall onto the ground under the floorboards and have 2 the other side one directlty supporting an existing RSJ which terminated on this wall and the other about 3 ft next to it. I have spread the load for these two acros on an old thick worktop. I have tightened my props so I cannot budge them unless I hit them with a club hammer, should that be engough? The building control guy came and said it looked ok but all he was concerned about was the footings for the new arch way!!!

Any comments on this? should I add one more the other side?

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard

have not proped the ceiling, but the remainder of the wall below the ceiling. The joists run front to back and terminate ontop of the wall I'm part removing. My dad said he thinks I should prop the ceiling with acros and a scaffold board but doing this will not actually support the wall.

Advice, comments?

Reply to
Richard

Be carefull not to wind up the acro's so that you life the top of the house off the bottom !!!!!

I would be more worried about what is under the acro, rather than the strength od the thing. I put them on "feet" made from big chunks of timber.

Also check to ensure the floors/roof above are still well supported.

If the acro's are in the way of doing the work, now is the time to move them, BEFORE the work starts.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Thanks for your response Rick