Another conservatory ballsup

Today, the air conditioner arrived. Someone had forgotten to order it until the day after the electrician was sent to fit it. Anyway, the wall has long been built with a hole to take the unit.

2 things

a) The unit they sent isn't the one I ordered (its smaller), but it is the one that they think I ordered. They got it wrong

b) In any event , the hole hasn't even been made to the size specified on the drawings (the size required to fit the smaller unit that they thought I ordered)

The dimensions mean that the hole is actually too big for the unit that's been shipped, and too small for the unit that I wanted. Before I make a decision as to whether to accept the unit that they've sent (I almost certainly won't anyway) am I right in thinking that its probably easier to make the hole bigger than smaller?

It would need to be about 10 mm higher and 60mm wider for the larger unit, vs being 35mm too high and 12 mm too wide for the smaller unit thats arrived. Seems that this means a half a brick course somewhere, and lot of (prrobably mismatched?) mortar filling.

Oh, and the bricklayer fitted an internal flush fit box into the brickwork for the external surface mounted power socket I wanted. The box has been removed and the hole is bigger than the footprint of the external socket, so they've had to fit a double external socket to cover the hole!

Brian

Reply to
bigbria

Five weekes after my conservatory was ordered, the sub-contracted bricklayer turned up, having been given the job that morning, only to find that he couldn't match the bricks 'off-the-shelf'

Result - two weeks delay. Not to worry, since he got on with digging the footings and pouring the concrete for the brick base.

It wasn't until he had subsequently laid the whole of the outer dwarf wall skin that I got out my tape measure. The base was 300mm to short one way, and 100mm short the other.

More delay while he digs more footings and lays more bricks!

Reply to
Paper2002AD