Removal of Tree

There is a large tree outside my house

It's not on my land but it causes problems on my land.. gutters/mess/wasps.

It's at least 40 feet tall

What is my options to get rid of it

TIA......

Reply to
John Wilson

So whose land *is* it on? Neighbour? Council?

For starters, have a chat to the trees owners and sound them out as to what they think about it?

David

Reply to
Lobster

it's on council land

all the neighbours want rid of it

Reply to
John Wilson

Well, I'd start with a letter to the council asking if it would be possible to remove the tree. Perhaps include a map of the area, with the signatures of the houseowners indicated as to which house they are in, to make it crystal clear.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I just phoned them there, they said that someone will come out and have a look at it soon

Reply to
John Wilson

If it is forty feet tall then it might end up with a tree preservation order on it, so be careful. In your position, I would club together with neighbours and get a tree firm in to remove it ASAP. Personally I would take a chain saw and a land rover to it, but for most people a large tree is a dangerous proposition.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I tried that but no one else wanted to chip in :-(

Reply to
John Wilson

Oh dear. I've found that it's not usually a good idea to do things the right way as far as councils are concerned, and now they know you want it gone they'll kick up a right fuss if they say it's ok and then it disappears.

I hope they decide it can be removed!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

yeah I hope so aswell mate, if they say it's ok then I'm sure the tree might have a little accident ;-)

I'll soon find out though once they pop round to see it

Reply to
John Wilson

If it's on council owned land, then it's down to them. But for wanting to get rid just because of the reasons you state, I hope they slap a TPO on it.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

TPO???

Look when it comes WASPS season the kids can't go out and play

The houses have tree's all around it but this tree is a pain

Don't see why I have to get my gutters cleaned several times a year/ clean the car and windows every 2nd day because of tree sap

Reply to
John Wilson

Tree Protection Order. Basically, listing a tree, so that it can't legally be removed.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Write to the council stating that it is causing structural instability to your dwelling and they will be held responsible if further damage occurs. You could also surreptitiously drill into the top of the bole and inject serious quantities of brushwood killer which will make the tree VERY sick (but slowly)

Reply to
John

"John Wilson" wrote in news:Q65Qd.177$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net:

Trees are wonderful things and I wish there were a lot more of them - in woods and forests.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

I do, but thats a different story,

You coudl always move and let teh tree do its thing.

Besides, who cares about wasps anyway?

They won't sting unless you mash em, and any kid who does will learn not to do it again.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A TPO can't be sustained when the safety of the properties is compromised. I'm in a similar situation with 2 large oak trees that are quite scarey when they are in full leaf and there is a gale. The council were quite happy to defend the TPOs when they thought the trees were on a neighbour's land. However when it was pointed out the trees were on council owned land and they'd better check with their insurers ... they started to back down. If its not a safety issue and merely leaves, sap & wasps then you're unlikely to get anywhere. Also a large fine, and replace the tree, if you break a TPO.

Reply to
Old Bill

Preservation.

Reply to
Huge

Trees make a huge difference to the quality of air in cities; never mind the aesthetic benefits they give. I'll give you that they CAN be a problem if sited too close to buildings & drains, but if you chop one down, be a good citizen and plant ten to replace it!

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

yeah but how will they know it was me that broke it??? I mean it could be anyone of the 8 houses that it bothers

Reply to
John Wilson

And disbenefits. Plant some along your northern boundary and you can enjoy them whilst your neighbour's garden is ruined by shade and roots.

Reply to
Tony Bryer