Removal of Tree

Kids can do that without mal-aforethought, just 'cos they don't know the dangers.

Don't bees do themselves some serious injury when they sting (and they can only do it once in their lives) because their sting is barbed and comes detached from their little bodies? At least that's what we learnt in biology. So there's some incentive for bees not to sting unless they are really frightened.

Well, I suppose it does hurt as much. Just I'm not fundamentally so scared of a little sting as I don't get much reaction from it. But being little makes it way more scary.

Hmm. We'll have to disagree there, they scared the cr*p out of me when they chased me from a rubbish bin in the New Forest one summer when I was < 10.

To me, and you'll hate me for this, wasps=pointless and nasty, splat 'em. Hornets=pointless and even nastier, splat 'em. Bees=honey=nice and not at all pointless so I'm more forgiving of them, and I don't believe them to be as fundamentally evil as wasps anyway.

As for trees, I plant them from time to time and I'll chop them down if I have reason. I don't worry too much about it - I think I've planted more than I've killed so the trees aren't doing too badly ;->

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I think you should have posted this to news//.uk.rec.gardening the response and abuse would be for more inflamed :-)

Reply to
Mark

Bizaar isn't it. We are burying surplus food whilst the third world starves. We licking the yanks' @&$?! and following them into also sorts of corrupt mayhem. Blair wants to monitor and regulate us to death (go and read "1984" again, the book, actually get the book and read it and then tell me it couldn't possibly happen in this fair isle).

And here we are going mental over one tree. Trees are nice. Assuage the guilt of chopping one down by planting a new one (perhaps a rarer breed). But it's still a *plant*. What about all the other little poor plants which can't grow properly because of the shade of the big selfish tree?

There, got it off me chest.

G'night all ;-/

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

But have you never talked to a Tree ? :-)

Reply to
Mark

I assure you I look nothing like Prince Charles ;->

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

And not old enough to have fully enjoyed the 70s ;-(

-- Mark §

Reply to
Mark

Not if the wasps are in a tree - unless of course the little b*gg*rs (the kids that is) throw stuff at them. Kids seem to like doing that sort of thing and when the wasps defend their brood (as humans do their litters) it's all the wasps' fault.

And you think that bees know that they'll die if they sting a soft bodied creature? Bees can sting other bees and wasps with impunity.

You probably disturbed a nest. Of course they chased you off. If a great creature damaged your house you'd do your best to protect yourself and your family wouldn't you?

But that was once and a long time ago. From your earlier post (hornets, now

*they* are total b*st*rds) it sounded as though you had a lot of experience.

Wasps and hornets are not at all pointless, even in our terms. The value of bees in pollination is far greater than their by-products (honey and wax).

You think insects are evil? That suggests that they know the difference between good and evil. A lot of humans don't, are you saying that insects have a higher sense of morality than humans?

I don't hate you for saying what you did, I just think you've a lot to learn.

I do know a lot about hymenoptera.

The OP didn't plant the tree he wanted to be rid of.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You really do ascribe human attributes to lower orders don't you!

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Nice one!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Might do - I wouldn't know. The creature has enough DNA to tell it how to fly and see, it wouldn't be a great deal more trouble for it's DNA to program it to avoid stinging unless absolutely necessary.

I'm fairly sure I didn't - this was a rubbish bin that was emptied every week. No, the hornets were just there after sweet things like ice-cream wrappers.

No, I *didn't* say insects are evil. I said wasps and hornets are evil. I'm quite partial to bugs in general. As for evil, *evil* in my perception. Or "they behave in an evil manner".

You keep bees?

Might have planted others in his life though? At the end of the day, it's a tree. Trees are important collectively, but rarely is a single tree considered important, unless we're going back to paganism.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Don't forget the playgrounds - swings, roundabouts, big rocking horses for 10 kids - nice large areas of concrete under each piece of equipment to protect the surrounding grass...

Reply to
Vera

No, it was a satirical comment.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Oh come on! Humans know that, for instance, drinking and eating to excess can kill them. They still do it.

Just? You mean foraging for food?

So if some creature grabbed your food you wouldn't resist?

No.

I stopped a couple of years ago. After twenty five yers.

I'm not going back to paganism - although it's quite fashionable now I believe. You really have a lot to learn though, there's a lot more to a tree than an object of worship. The OP's house is probably doing more harm to the tree than the tree is to him. In fact, the tree is actually doing NO harm to the OP. He values his lump of metal more than life.

There are times which a choice has to be made between one life and another - no matter what form that life takes. But in this case there are some spurious arguments for his objection to the tree.

He says his neighbours want it down but not enough to bother lobbying the council. It's obviously not a real threat.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's amazing how we survived ... still, now the little protected darlings have beefburgers and blue drinks to damage them.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hymenoptera are the wasps I think, not bees.

Reply to
usenet

Wasps, bees, ants.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Give the bees some credit, they're probably not as stupid as some humans ;->

My dress sense might be on par with a tramp, but I don't think I was desperate enough to lick discarded wrappers. I just wanted to dump a bag of litter in there and the little b*ggers started chasing me. That's enough reason in my book to hate them.

I expect the fresh local honey was very nice? I do like bees, you see. Just not their cousins the wasps and hornets.

Please don't patronise me for having a different opinion to you.

I cannot summise exactly what was going through the OP's head, but if faced with a tree causing me a problem, I'll deal with it without much worry. But in balance, trees do a lot of good and provide haven for other life, so I'm as likely to put another one in somewhere else more suitable. I love planting little saplings and watching them grow, but I'm not massively sentimental about them.

That's normal. Most people whine, but can't be bothered when push comes to shove.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Oh, OK, I knew they were wasps and ants but hadn't realised that bees are in the same order too.

Reply to
usenet

They reached the stage they're at now millions of years before Man was round. They haven't progressed. We have.

From when you were ten! You're stuck at the evolutionary stage of a child :-) Growing up involved rationalising.

Because of arthritic hands, by the way. Bee stings, in popular myth, are supposed to prevents such things. It's the same sort of myth which says that a bee won't sting because it knows it's going to die ...

Come to think of it, if a bee knew it would die when it stung it would never sting - if it were so clever.

To me most honey is better than nice but not because it's fresh nor because it's local. That's another myth, that 'fresh local honey' is better than mature exotic honey.

All bees? All wasps?

I'm not patronising anyone.

It's the nature of his perceived problem which has caused this discussion. And, to give him his due, because the tree was not on his land he asked how to deal with it.

WASPS ......... ARRRRRRRRGGHHHHHHHHH!

LOL! Do you also watch paint dry?

Nor am I. I've felled quite a few trees in our own garden but not because of falling leaves or the wildlife they support. In fact there's a leylandi in our garden which I insist on leaving because it is host to very many different kinds of birds which otherwise, in our virtually treeless neighbourhood, would have to seek shelter further afield.

So the tree isn't a real problem.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, and not just mellifera but bombus and all the solitary ones too (as well as solitary wasps). It's an enormous order, which is why it's really a nonsense to refer to 'bees' and 'wasps' as though they were all the same. As I'm sure you know.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher