Remote Wireless Thermostats any Good?

Hi all

I am getting quotes for a central heating re-work and intend to add an upstairs "zone". One of the plumbers quoting has suggested a wireless programmable stat (for ease of fitting of course).

Should I consider this? Being an old fashioned soul, I am inclined to route cabling myself and choose a hard wired unit.

Any advice on suppliers/models of either type? IIRC, the supplier was talking about Danfoss TP5???

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I had the same advice from a heating engineer who I got a quote from recently. I don't doubt that the device would work OK, as I know the bloke well and trust him.

Nevertheless, being an OFS like you, I can't see how it could possibly be an improvement on a hard-wired device; and of course the wireless devices are significantly more expensive to purchase as well. Given that all the floorboards were up for rewiring anyway, I took the opportunity to run the appropriate cable myself at the same time, between the stat position and the boiler.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Main advantage (other than not having to route cabling) is that you can play around with the location of the stat before commiting to a fixed location.

Most people on this ng seem to recommend the Honeywell CM67RF (?) wireless one. I have a Drayton Digistat 3 wireless and wouldn't recommend it. It works flawlessly but it's fiddly to set up and a bit limitiing.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Summers

Obviously, the RF solution is the cheap option, unless the cable is there already. I would generally prefer a wired solution, unless the cable route would be onerous in redecoration.

Honeywell CM67, RF or wired. You'll need one for downstairs, too. Once you've subzoned, you need a programmable on every zone.

Christian,

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I had the same reservations, being an OFS myself that used to work in the radio business. I did a test with the MILs radio call device, also using the 433Mhz band, and found there were blackspots in some rooms. Our house construction uses the old furnace-waste blocks (they produce a black, staining, dust when drilled...). I suppose these have a high metallic content that cause them to act as a partial RF shield. I decided to use a wired, programmable thermostat, a Drayton Digistat 3, see:

John Weston

Many cars use 433/418 Mhz for their remote locking. Before I installed the Drayton system I checked to see if I could Unlock/Lock the car from inside the house because its 80 years old. It worked for me and so far in 18 months the system has not missed a beat. [Alkaline battery life 2 years according to the manufacturer.

Reply to
Rob

I have the 3i version of the drayton. I paid about =A315 extra. It has a=20 tiny bit of brain that learns. You set the target temp for a given time.=20 On a mild day it doesn't bother kicking the heating on until close to=20 the time. On a cold day it kicks in early to get things warmed up. My=20 fitters had to order it specially.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick

Used both wired and wireless Honeywell CM67

No problems.

Easy to use ( brief instructions on thermostat itself !)

Ability to move wireless around for best position useful especially if your house is large, unusual layout or your room usage is non-standard.

Robert Robert

Reply to
robert