Remote light switch

Sorry to hang this on the back of your post, but that reminds me: Is there such a thing as a remote controlled halogen flood (for outdoor use) or even one with a pullcord?

Reply to
Chris Hodges

far cheaper to run a cable. When I said not practicable to wire in another switch, I should have added 'at a reasonable price'. The cost of a transmitter & reciever seems to be damn near two days of my labour!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think that the manufacturers assume that if they are going to implement all the RF gubbins then people will probably want a dimmer as well.

The X10 stuff may be a little cheaper perhaps.

Reply to
Andy Hall

the wall switch transmitter behind an ordinary wall switch in the conventional position in the bedroom. Add another by the bed for two-way operation if desired. Mount the one-channel on/off receiver wherever it will go.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

May be easier and cheaper to use plugin lighting, but you dont get paid for that

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I forgot to add the user will eventually[1] have to change the transmitter battery (behind the wall plate). This might or might be a problem depending on the user.

[1] ours have lasted a couple of years so far, with light :-) usage
Reply to
Mike Barnes

Where does it go? The bedroom light is switched from the lounge via a 2 gang switch - 1 switches the lounge light 1 switches the bedroom light.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I was hoping you had some access to the roof void or some other way of getting at the wiring. Otherwise you're looking for a receiver/relay to fit inside the existing wall switch or rose, and I'm pretty sure you're out of luck there. If it were me and I had no access to the wiring other than at the switch and the rose, I'd consider removing the rose, making a hole that I could poke the receiver through, and then making good. But I can see that that might be considered too much of a bodge.

It's a shame there isn't a "ceiling rose" receiver along the same lines as the plug-in adapter.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Thanks Mike. The trouble is the ceilings are 14' high! A ceiling rose adaptor would be spot on. Finding one is the problem.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hi Try ceiling fan suppliers in your area ,Fantasia do a radio fan controller that hides under the fan ceiling dome also there is an infra-red circular unit that fits between the ceiling rose and the ceiling. May be 'overkill' or to expensive but could be a last ditch solution.

HTH CJ

Reply to
cj