Regrouting wall tiles

We have several square yards of very solidly fixed but tired looking [1] kitchen wall tiles, which require attention. Regrouting seems the best option, but looking online, the range of tools and methods is vast, with various hand and electric grout rakes, squeegees, spreaders and more.

Any thoughts or recommendations? A simple hand held grout rake to remove the top surface, then regrout with a rubber spreader seems fairly straightforward, but, never having attempted this job before, words of wisdom will be appreciated.

[1] White tiles in the kitchen, must be thirty years old, painted green many years ago. We have finally finished scraping off the green paint, but some paint remains on the grout, and the grout not painted is grey.
Reply to
News

It depends on many variables such as how hard the grout is, how well it is adhered, and what the gaps are. Start with "hand raking", even just scraping with an old screwdriver. The grit-edged tools used in a multitool require a minimum spacing of the tiles. Victorian/Edwardian kitchen tiles often have small gaps but these are usually very tough and a rotary wire brush can be used.

Reply to
newshound

Excellent, thanks. The tiles themselves are probably 'only' about 30 years old, but they are very solidly fixed to the walls, and the grout itself is still solid, albeit grey or brown, just from age and cooking. Ancient nicotine too, judging by other wall areas we have found behind stuff.

I can scratch the grout with a screwdriver, but it is certainly not soft. Perhaps a simple hand held grout rake is the way to go, at least initially.

Wifey keeps researching the subject, and others suggest a steam cleaner, or even bicarb and vinegar mixtures for cleaning.

Reply to
News

Hand abrasive grout rake is the standard thing to use. Since a screwdriver can damage it, a bradawl is much quicker, if you get the technique right. F or some reason people mostly dont. Hold it at 90 degrees to the surface and run back & forth as fast as you can. 10 seconds a go.

Rubber blade's good for regrouting. And a sponge to wipe the film off after the grout's set. Since its kitchen, do use waterproof grout.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I assume youve tried paint stripper and wire wool (with gloves)? You'll probably find they are cemnt fixed and gouted if they are very old. The clue is that the "grout " will be very hard and hand tools won't touch it though you could try one of these carbide tipped jobbies.

The other option is the angle grinder and as thin a diamond disk as you can get.

Re-grouting will only take a few minutes. The trick is getting the old out.

Reply to
harryagain