Reflective non-slip external paint - supplier?

I need to paint the edges of a small number of external steps to make them easier to see in the dark. Can anyone suggest a source of suitable paint?

Google hasn't been any use.

Reply to
unknown

I would suggest starting with simple white lines and see if they help.

If you want reflective markings, you would need the white lines as a base for the retro-reflective paint anyway.

Alternatively, you could use reflective floor marking tape:

or reflective stair treads:

However, reflective markings have a very narrow field of view, so are not much good unless you are carrying a light source, or one is shining from directly behind you. In the latter case you could set the light so as to pick out the step edges, which would make them easier to see without any markings.

OTOH, if you want them to glow in the dark, you need to be looking for luminous paint:

Luminous anti-slip tapes:

Luminous stair strips or nosings:

or even stair nosings with LED lighting:

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes, I wish this was done more often. many of my friends have some sight and some contrasting White or Yellow lines would be well received. Some places have tried. White paint gets scuffed and dirty very fast Reflective strips which seem to be c glued on are no good on Concrete. So if there is an answer it would be interesting to know. Bright yellow seems to be better than white for many people. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That suggests they have used the wrong sort of paint. It needs to be a dedicated line marking paint to last well.

The right sort of tape on sound concrete with the appropriate primer ought to work.

Self-coloured GRP nosings are probably the simplest retro-fit answer.

Probably also more readily available in pre-made nosings.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Thanks, Colin, for a very thorough reply - lots to follow-up on.

Reply to
unknown