Re: small spiral-ratchet (Yankee-type) screwdriver

Anyone know of a small spiral-ratchet (yankee-type) screwdriver which

> takes standard hex-shaft screwdriver bits? > > Struck me it would be ideal for fixing pipe clips as the cordless drill is > invariably tied up with a drill bit so I usually end up driving the screws > with an ordinary screwdriver.

================================== There's one in my Toolstation catalogue - I think this is the one:

Cicero

Buy an impact driver as they have a hex shank and the bits just slot out.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Well the bits are about 3x the size of standard 1/4" hex screwdriver bits the tool weights a ton, and you hit it with a club hammer to get it to turn about 30 degrees rather than just pushing it to do several revolutions, but otherwise spot on John :-/

Bloody armchair diyers

Reply to
John Stumbles

Hmmmn, doesn't say how big it is but looks at least 13" Yankee(-equivalent) and only has own bits, not pozis :-(

Reply to
John Stumbles

================================== It's a good price even if it isn't a 'genuine' Yankee. It's cheap enough to experiment with, and the job you have in mind (fixing pipe clips) isn't really very demanding.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

John,

Have a look at this link:

's an American firm but it may well give you a starting point for soem digging - especially if you use the term "pump action screwdriver" in a search engine.

You could also have look through the on-line Buck & Hickman tool catalogue - link here:

?N=401&name=Hand+ToolsIf there's a problem with the address wrap - try this tinyurl.com link:

'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Damn difficult to hold the screw, clip and driver in one hand while pumping it with the other. I expect after the first couple of slips and a bit of blood it will be confined to the tool box like my yankee.

Reply to
dennis

Have you ever used one Jimmy?

Impact Drivers are small. Makita make a small thin Impact Driver. That should do you,

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

================================== I use the clip to hold the screw and I use any suitable screwdriver that comes to hand.

I'm not recommending Yankees - the OP wants to try a Yankee and I simply remembered seeing one in the catalogue. If he has the same experience as you had I'm sure he'll discard it as quickly as you did and might even be warned off by your experience before buying.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Dennis,

There is no problem using a Yankee screwdriver with one hand - the technique is simple.

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

It takes me back to the early sixties when I bought the medium sized one. At the time, I was serving my apprenticeship and I worked for a department that did string tying machines for the newspaper industry. All the panels enclosing the dangerous bits were screwed on with hex slotted dome head screws and I made a hex bit, out of a cut down Allen key, to speed up the panelling job. We were on piece work at that time and it was a way to make a bit more money.

Of all the experienced fitters that borrowed it, it always came back with the complaint that it had taken a bite out of their fingers :-) They had held onto the pump handle and let their fingers slip onto the spiral as it entered the pump handle. Why they couldn't just hold the knurled collar that you pull back to change bits, I'll never know. Perhaps they were not all that bright :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Rapid electronics (Radpidonline co uk) do one too. But TBH a =A35 value 2.4v screwdriver would beat the stuffing out of a spiral thing. Yankees may have seemed like a move forward from a trad screwdriver, but compared to even the worst small power tool theyre just pants.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I saw one in B&Q on Friday.

is so piggin useless I can't find it!

But you would be better off with one of these

for jobs like yours.

Check out E Bay, got mine for £35.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

> Fantastic for jobs like yours.

A Yankee? Boy!!!! :(

The Makita Impact driver for £52. It competes with an 18v drill/driver in performance.

them on Ebay for a lot cheaper too.

The Makita is small and goes in the ruler pocket - ideal! If you want an Impact Driver that drives in lag bolts and is cheap enough then try a Sparky from s/fix at around £99. The Ryobi is well priced too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

erm, I think you will find he was linking to the very Makita to which you were referring.

Not even close in fact. Its a nice tool and certainly has a place - it would suit John's requirement very well. However it only develops 17Nm max torque, and a 2" 10 gauge twinthread screw into a brown plug is about its limit. Its not comparable with a 18V drill that will develop two to three times the torque, or a big impact driver which will exceed ten times the torque.

Got mine for about £35 with two batts from eBay.

Reply to
John Rumm

seem to be a spiral-ratchet type driver.

Tried that. Seems google now returns results from its groups archive:

small spiral-ratchet (Yankee-type) screwdriver - uk.d-i-y | Google ... "pump action screwdriver" in a search engine. You could also have look through the on-line Buck & Hickman tool catalogue - link here: ... groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_thread/thread/3b88efc260946b32 - 158k

- 14 hours ago - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

recursion: see recursion :-)

?N=401&name=Hand+ToolsThanks, had a look but there seems no way to specify other than length and bit size/type and I didn't fancy trawling through 1117 'drivers looking for one - which would probably be out of stock :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

It would do for 4mm * 40mm goldscrews into red plugs though, which is what I need (2" x 10 is about what I use for hanging boilers!). However I really don't want Yet Another battery-operated tool to have to fiddle around with spare batteries and chargers and storage for them all. When I were a lad my dad had a short (9"-ish) spiral-ratchet driver (with a black bulbous handle and 3 or 4 different bits in a maroon plastic wallet) and that would seem to be appropriate technology for this application. I have seen a very cheap one (£1.99, or double that + postage on eBay :-/) but it only has slotted and Philips head bits.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Yup, for general fixing it is great. Easy to hold and use. The only real downsides are the noise and the lack of any speed control.

It is a different design battery from the normal Makita ones as well. The whole lot comes in a smallish pouch (about 3" thick and the size of two DVD cases side by side) - so not too cumbersome. There is a belt holster supplied with it as well.

I am sure I have such a thing floating about somewhere - the top unscrews to allow the bits to be stowed in the handle. However it is a custom bit fitting...

The closest I have to your requirement is a ratchet driver that came in a socket set - has a hex mount end and forward and reverse ratchet. Alas no yankee style action.

Reply to
John Rumm

I know the sort of thing - I must have one or three kicking around. Chocolate teapot generally, except one I have which is like a tiny version of a socket-set-type ratchet, that takes 1/4" hex bits, has a handle about 3" long and is priceless for getting at fasteners even a chubby is too big for.

Reply to
John Stumbles