Re: RFD uk.d-i-y

Page 1 of 8
Originally posted in UN; FU set.

Others have commented on this and told you the correct place to go.

I would certainly welcome this change after the relevant RFD's had been drawn up and we could discuss possible sub-groups. Also this could be a good time to discuss moving the group to a sub hierarchy such as uk.rec.d-i-y.*...
Andrew.
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 19:04:46 +0100, Andrew Hodgson

Several comments.
1) 150 or so messages a day does not constitute heavy traffic.
2) There are several news agent programs with search and filter capabilities whereby people can filter areas of interest. There is also a very good archive search in the form of Google Groups.
3) Splitting into lots of subgroups would require a lot of them to cover the broad range of subjects discussed. This would result in low levels of traffic if the numbers of subgroups is large enough to accommodate this, and substantial "misfiling" of articles. The same would happen if the number of subgroups were too small. The result either way would be a need to search in multiple groups to find things. Quite often it is helpful to refer people to previously posted articles to avoid repetition.
4) Quite often topics fall under multiple categories - e.g. heating involving plumbing and electrics; tools relating to woodworking and metalworking and so on.
In conclusion, I think that it should be left as a single group.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I concur.
To be honest I found the following online forums only today, might be of interest to others who want to discuss something a bit more focussed than general DIY:
http://www.diynot.com/forums /
I know I should have found this before, but to be honest I wasn't looking for it :)
PoP

It's been posted before, but if you look:
In total there are 10 users online (1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests) Most users ever online was 49 on Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:40 pm
It's not a very high usage forum
--
geoff

Andy Hall wrote:

It's UK (mostly) It's diy (mainly) It's fine as is (me too) Never seen a post from the OP in the NG so why the suggestion?
Toby.
"Andy Hall" wrote in uk.d-i-y [and uk.net.news.config - removed] | Andrew Hodgson wrote: | >Originally posted in UN; FU set.
| >>uk.d-i-y is a very successful group regularly attracting 150 plus | >>postings a day. I am often interested in a particular area of d-i-y | >>and find it time consuming to sort through all the messages and would, | >>therefore, like to suggest the creation of the following groups: | >>uk.d-i-y.construction | >>uk.d-i-y.decorating | >>uk.d-i-y.electrical | >>uk.d-i-y.gardening | >>uk.d-i-y. joinery | >>uk.d-i-y.plumbing | 4) Quite often topics fall under multiple categories - e.g. heating | involving plumbing and electrics; tools relating to woodworking and | metalworking and so on.
I agree; the categories mentioned above are not the ones into which most regulars would wish to see posts sorted. I would in jest suggest:
uk.d-i-y.combis.and.thermal.stores uk.d-i-y.who.owns.britain.and.the.evil.of.planning.policies uk.d-i-y.only.corgis.can.do.gas.work uk.d-i-y.excuses.for.buying.a.new.power.tool
More cynically, we might as well have two main subdivisions:
uk.d-i-y.things.the.government.have.stopped.diyers.doing.in.their.own.homes uk.d-i-y.things.the.government.are.going.to.stop.diyers.doing.in.their.own.h omes
maybe we could even have
uk.d-i-y.nostalgia
that might develop into its own hierachy of
uk.d-i-y.nostalgia.pargetting uk.d-i-y.nostalgia.creosote
Owain
[uk.net.news.config removed]

You forgot, of course,
uk.d-i-y.threads.which.have.spun.off.topic.and.out.of.control.to.the.anno yance.of.a.newbie.who.asked.a.stupid.question.in.the.first.place
--
geoff

[snipped]

would,
The longest thread ever was the metric one not long back which attracted posters from all over the world. And I never started it and only posted once or twice - drat!!

wrote:> >The longest thread ever was the metric one not long back which attracted

once
Like your obsession with tools that cost the earth.

It went on for decades.

Not really. Just a preference for good return on investment.
There are some very simple principles:
"There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper. And people who consider price alone are this man's lawful prey."
"It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money.....that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.
The Common Law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot...it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."
John Ruskin

There's nothing to say to that is there?

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

attracted
posted
Like 160 to put a shelf up.

That is a big assumption it doesn't do what it says on the box.

Good value if it's for multiple good quality shelves that were made and fitted.

It's why he says "sometimes".
I prefer not to be "lawful prey". Life is too short.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

You jest of course.

So it is a case of assessing your own situation and not going by army type of regulations.

wrote:> Certainly. I never turn things into absolutes as you tend to do.

I never speak in absolutes unless it is absolutely.

attracted
posted
I was not a part of it.

You mean he's white tight and outta sight?
--
geoff

once
Cor!

Certainly not too bad if you use a reasonable newsreader.

Absolutely. Splitting it up would be a real PITA.

And some things defy categorisation...

Splitting us up seems to get proposed every few years, usually by a non-regular.
It isn't broken. Don't fix it.
David
--
Reply to d r m 21 @ mole dot bio dot cam dot ac dot uk
Unsolicited commercial email will incur a $100 processing fee