Re: Relocating a washing machine...

As some of you may have read in another thread, I was offered a Miele

>washing machine for free - it just needs to be moved from York to >Cheshire. A company quoted a price of £80 to do this, but apparently >the deadline ran out [I wasn't involved in negotiations]. Also it >turns out it's still plumbed in, and needs a transport bar fitting >too. So I'm looking for recommendations of a reliable company that can >take care of the whole job for me, by next Friday, or suggestions on >how to get a 90+Kg washer in/out of a hired van if I can't find any >helpers. TIA

I know there are people who advertise transportation services on ebay, based upon a cost per mile. I'm sure one of them might be able to assist.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Good suggestion, but apparently the Miele doesn't have concrete weights like a Hotpoint. Rather, the washer is hewn from a solid block of metal.

I have plenty of hands at the delivery end, but that is pretty much Plan A at the collection point. It is near the student campus, so there's certain to be thirsty ppl in the area - just rather something more definite.

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Socket

Not sure what to sure on. Any ideas?

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Socket

Hmm, interesting question :)

I did a quick search for transportation, came up with item 2432207395 (you can enter that item number in the search field).

This is for transport of a motorbike anywhere in the UK, not exactly what you were looking for, but maybe if the guy was in the area....

You might also want to check the ads in the freebie local newspapers. Down here we see "man with van" type adverts frequently.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

When we moved house, the removal man walked in, looked at the Hotpoit w/m, picked it up, walked out, put it in the van.....!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Anyone remember the big indian guy in One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest? He lifted the water fountain off the floor as I recall.

(Almost certainly made of polystyrene though).

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Made a few calls - they seem to be £80/day round here. A little bit more than I wanted to pay really.

Had another thought - how about a regular van, make a ramp for a trolley using planks of wood?

I'm rather attached to my Golf ;-)

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Socket

"Invalid item"

Another good idea worth investigating. Thanks.

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Socket

I think that you would need pretty substantial planks for that. To make the slope low enough that you could push 200kg up it is going to imply quite long and therefore thick material to avoid it breaking.

By the time you had organised that, I would have thought it would be better and cheaper to have procured the tail lift van and appliance truck. It would be pretty tearful if you dropped the thing and broke it, wouldn't it.

Think of it this way. You've been given an excellent machine at zero cost and you even have the warranty cover to get it fixed if necessary. If it costs £80 to move it safely without damage then that is still fantastic value.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

If someone had told me that story I think I'd have had a problem believing it! Those pianos aren't small by any stretch of the imagination.

PoP

Reply to
PoP