Re: re paving - real stone or concrete imitation...?

thanks for this info

> > interesting that you are expecting a 50% cost saving on materials > using this stone compared with the readymade moulded concrete version, > but on the pavingexpert.com site i'd noticed it said "...stone paving > is considerably more expensive than the concrete alternatives..." >
- it probably is if you compare real York stone (ie from Yorkshire)

with some of the concrete products. I was comparing the top of the range concrete (Chancery). Incidentally, Marshall's own real stone products (Haworth Moor) are also slightly cheaper than Chancery. It's imported stone too, of course, although they try to disguise it with the name...

> > imported sandstone for about £17 per sq m. > incidentally, how thick is the stone at this price?

nominally 35mm, but it varies between 30 and 45.

> > You might argue that it's immoral to use a stone which has been quarried in > > India and then shipped expensively around the world > (yeah, talking of which, my guess is that the pay & working conditions > of the labourers who quarry that stone in India are worse than > atrocious...)

Yes, well, on the other hand, if we didn't buy it they wouldn't have a market, or a job...

Reply to
Neil Jones

Not all sandstones are created equal, as I understand it. York stone has been used for paving for hundreds of years and is still working OK.

I believe some stones are subject to delimination when subject to the freeze-thaw cycle, but if you go to a reputable supplier you should get something which will last OK.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

I just dont understand why the OP would consider paying twice the price of stone for inferior concrete.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton