Re: radiator noise revisited...

Answers in text :-)

hi > > my bedroom radiator makes some tapping noises, not that loud, but > sometimes enough to wake me in the morning... so i'd like to silence > it if possible
** Couple of possible reasons: (1) This is expansion noise from your pipework - as the opper warms up it expands and it can 'catch' on joists etc. then release itself, which gives a sort of creaky/tappy noise. (2) A valve on one of your radiators is 'flapping' - we have at least one of these. You can hear a 'tap tap tap' noise which I think is the bit of the valve which regulates the flow (i.e inside the pipe bit to/from the raiator) opening under a build up of pressure then closing as the pressure is released. A marginal situation where the valve is almost closed but not quite. We have TRVs on all radiators so I assume it is one of these. Problem is you can hear the noise at most of the raiators, so tracking down the errant valve is not straightforward. I guess I would have to fully close each TRV in turn until the noise stopped. Never bothered me enough to try :-) **
i tried bleeding all the radiators - the bedroom radiator itself > doesn't bleed any air... > > the radiator in the bathroom (this radiator is 'always-on' in the > circuit) seems to collect quite a bit of air over a period of > weeks/months - is this anything to be concerned about, or is it just > the way things normally are...?
** I assume you have inhibitor in your system? We used to have a radiator which always neede bleeding, but when I flushed the system and added Fernox this cured the problem. So it could be gas generated by the corrosion inside your radiators. **
afaik the boiler is fairly ancient (Baxi WM 532 RS, about 20 years > old?), but (again afaik) the pump was replaced relatively recently > (about 3-4 years back?)
**AFAIK this shouldn't make a difference *
just been searching on this subject, seems to come up quite a bit... > i noticed that a couple of months back, someone mentioned: > > >From: BigWallop (spamguard@_spam_guard.com) > >Subject: Re: Central Heating noise waking me up! > > > If you're only bleeding the system from one radiator, then you're not > > bleeding all the systems properly. You will have to bleed everything on the > > system to make sure you're getting all the air out, and that includes the > > boiler itself. You will find the boiler has, or better have, a bleed point > > on the highest part of the pipework for this very purpose. > > where exactly should i look for this bleed point - what should it look > like, how does it work... (does it use the same key as the radiators > use?)
**No idea - never seen one **
someone else suggested: > > >From: Alan Campbell ( snipped-for-privacy@mullen.demon.co.uk) > > You could try turning the pump speed up to max for a couple of hours. > > This might help shift any air. > > how is the pump speed adjusted?
** Normally a switch or dial on the pump - rocker switch for slow/fast option or dial for multi-speed pumps **
any other suggestions?

HTH Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

thanks for your suggestions

i've only been here a couple of years, so i don't know if anyone ever put inhibitor in the system -- is there any way to tell if it's in there without having to flush the whole system...? could i just add some more regardless...?

how would corrosion result in gas being generated...? (i guess corrosion in this case means rusting, ie oxidation of iron, which would remove (dissolved) oxygen, so if anything, reducing any volume of gas in there...??)

james

Reply to
james

** Safer to flush the system - you don't kmow what is already in there (if anything) and if it is compatible with your chosen treatment. Probably worth giving it the whole nine yards - drain, refill with flushing compound, run for a few days, drain and fill with inhibitor. Well worth it in the long run **

AFAIK there is a reaction inside the CH system which releases Hydrogen. A long time since I did any chemistry, but presumably if you remove the O from H2O you get some H2? The black sludge you get out of radiators doesn't look like rust, so possibly some other reaction going on?

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts