Re: OT; Glad it wasn't me!

I can hear the shrill voices of marketing, "99 year warranty" - maybe they knew full well from the start it was take the money and run on a rubbish product.

Not absolutely clear what they mean by "composite" - I suspect somebody tried to make outdoor structural timber out of chipboard - I wonder if it was marked with (whatever the US equivalent is to) a strength grade.

No doubt the manufacturer will blame the contractor for not installing it correctly, blame the consumer for walking on it, go bust and start again under a new name, blame the people that tested it for them, go bust again and finally claim it was someone else that looked a bit like them.

Reply to
RubberBiker

The composite stuff's odd - it almost looks and feels kind of plastic-like. I was looking at some in the store a few weeks ago and came to the conclusion that I'd much rather build a deck from proper wood :-)

Not sure - I might end up back at the store today (it happens with depressing regularity ;) so I can take a peek.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Should this be in alt.fetish?

Reply to
PeterC

It is plastic

Trex at any rate is made from recycled waste plastics mixed with wood fibres to make a composite. A fair bit of the plastic is old suprmarket shopping bags.

It has always felt like a degradation problem waiting tio happen

Reply to
Norman Billingham

Surely not THE Desmond Decker :-)

John