Re: Odd-sized internal doors solution?

John Andrews wrote:

Why are these doors "horrible"? Can't you salvage them?
I made doors for my current house - 4-panel ones + 1 bi-fold. It's just a matter of getting some 3/8" (9mm) ply, some 4x1 1/2 (metric whatnot) or similar timber, routing out (small electric router or hand tool OK) along one edge of framing, cutting lengths, mortice & tenon (poss. through pins), loose assemble, measure up ply panels, glue up and assemble (two cheap sash cramps needed), pin on mouldings (buy/make with router or plane), hang, paint.
________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Make your own from scratch. 18 mm Plywood sheets are quite reasonably priced, and when you use one as the door size and cut the rest to give you the look of cross beams and uprights, they look like solid doors. Fill the panel effect with some moulding timbers and you have made to measure doors.
Just a suggestions, but it looks good on our bathroom door which is a very unusual size.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

As Lee says, it might be easier to pull out the frames and put new ones in - at least they'll be square and you should be able to slot a new door straight in, more or less.
Si
Thanks very much for replies so far.
I like the idea of making the doors up from scratch. However, I'd be concerned about warping with the "big sheet of plywood" approach, so I'd probably prefer doing it properly. Hmmmm. I must admit that time is a real issue for me at the moment too, so the flat door + mouldings approach is still looking attractive, even though the end result would be less than ideal.
I won't be taking the door frames out - the 101-year-old original architraves, skirtings etc. are the best things about my flat.
Someone asked what was so wrong with the present doors - imagine the worst frosted-glass, cheapo early 70's efforts in shocking condition and you're there. Every fibre of my being (and I've put on weight recently) is offended at the sight of them.
On 29 Aug 2003 04:43:05 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com (John Andrews) wrote:

Good stuff, you probably got enough left over for serving hatch door and letter box flap too! ;O)
Bye now! Slowbloke