Re-inforced Egg Shell

Hi,

The church's egg rolling competition time again. (Roll decorated hard boiled eggs down a hill. The one that goes the furthest wins.)

I had a thought that to keep the shell intact, and hence increase it's range, it may be possible to paint it with something (acrylic, varnish, etc).

Any suggestions from the panel?

TIA Colin

Reply to
Colin

What's the stuff you brush ino concrete to stop the surface from abrading and going dusty? Sodium Silicate is it? Would that not have the desired effect on an eggshell too?

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

You blackguardly fellow!

Get a china egg as used by poultry-keepers and fire it off the hill with a mortar.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

Talk about OT!. Is it April 1st?.

what you are proposing is cheating and a bad thing to teach your children. (assuming it is a childrens competition of course)

Your best "no cheating" way of doing this is to get a proper free range hen egg (no - not one out of the supermarket but one layed by a healthy hen with proper free range access and not just bare earth) Their shells are stronger. Are duck eggs allowed?. My Muscovy eggs have unbelievably tough shells.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan Campbell

Turtle eggs, filled with mercury should go for miles.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Oh yes. Go to a model shop and get some lighweight glass cloth and epoxy resin.

It will make the egg look suspiciously 'woven' tho, unless you paint it with matt paint.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Very cunning!

Reply to
Colin

Depends whether theres a rule against it. People are fond of imagining things.

My first thought is to use epoxy adhesive like paint: brush it on and you get a painted egg, though admittedly the paint is a bit on the tough side. It comes in a few diffrent colours - will be a crap colour scheme but a winner nonetheless. Expect clear, grey and black.

Really, it depends on what your aims are here.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Interesting philosophy... play within the rules or play for fun... I guess business (real life) dictates the former, and sport (fun) dictates the latter?

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Push a pin though the long axis and blow the unformed embryo out into the real world. Then suck in some epoxy resin.

Or freeze it.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

I know thats one approach, not one I like a lot myself, but it goes on.

People seem to routinely make up rules that limit themselves, and claim they were put in place by someone else when in reality no such rule exists. This is quite common. In this case I would question whether any rule against egg modification has been laid down: if it hasnt, it hasnt :)

But of course in this case the social aspect would likely be more important, in which case one would want to stay within the assumptions and expectations rather than the rules.

But... it is good for a kid to realise the difference and appreciate the game, because then they can play to win much more effectively later.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

As a follow-up...

My son didn't doctor his egg as we ran out of time. However, he did win!

(He didn't roll first, but waited to see which line gave the best result...)

Colin

Reply to
Colin